Monday, October 30, 2006

Kitchen Duties

Grace, Jack and I got down to serious cooking duties this morning. Jack told me late last night that he was responsible for the snacks at his small group this afternoon. Unfortunately, I had no instant snackage available for 12 hungry boys, plus their leaders, but we did have the makings of some chocolate muffins, which he made himself. After scoffing some for lunch we agreed that they were nice enough but he needed to check the sugar in the recipe next time. I don't think he weighed out the right quantity.

Grace helped me (under protest) cook some Channa Dahl, Mutter Paneer and Vegetable Korma for dinner. We had various cooking-related mishaps, including the 'cheese down the side of the oven' mishap and the 'strong onion juice in the eyes' mishap. About half-way though, and after the onion juice episode, Grace did admit that she was having fun, but only reluctantly.

After that we cleared up a bit, ate muffins and drank hot stuff whilst I read the next thrilling installment from our current 'school book'- The Victor by Patricia St John. She's one of our favourite authors at the moment and we would not have discovered her were it not for the curriculum we use (sorta) - Sonlight.


The kids departed for their rooms, Jack to read, Grace to decompress from the stress of the morning, by drawing. A late lunch and then I need to catch up with the books biz work and do some laundry. Oh joy.

An embarrassing moment: I had to resort to calling Jamie at work to find out where my muffin pans might be. "In the shed?" he suggested. And do you know what? He was right.

I frequently have to call Jamie at work to find out where things are. Once, I searched the whole house for my shoes, so I could go out, only to phone him and discovered he'd left them outside next to the bin, because that's where he had been polishing them for me. I would not have thought to look there in a thousand years. Life's an adventure, isn't it?

No comments: