Friday, January 26, 2007

Barley Mushroom Bake

Hello, Friends!
I've been cooking this delightful concoction for about 30 years now (I think it's done now) and I love it. My husband's eyes light up when he sees it coming in from biking/bussing/riding the train home from work. (He never looks that gratefully at ME!) My kids will eat it. 'Nuff said.

But for some reason I can't seem to get any of my friends to appreciate my wholefood recipes as much as we do. I think maybe we are just too 'crunchy' for them.{g} Apart from Windy who seems to love everything I've ever cooked!


But DeEtta said she was looking for a healthy recipe which uses lots of vegies for her produce co-op newsletter, so let's see if this fits the bill, shall we?

Barley Mushroom Bake
*********************
1 Large onion, finely chopped
2 Tablespoons unrefined olive oil
2 large carrots, grated
10 med or 7/8 big mushrooms, sliced
1 cup pot barley (sometimes called brown barley or wholegrain barley, that is, NOT pearl barley) washed and drained.
2-3 cups hot vegetable stock, enough to cover the ingredients
Green Stuff. Over the years I've used great handfuls of fresh spinach, or a cup of sliced celery leaves or loads of herbs from the garden like parsley, thyme and chervil, whatever you fancy. All of the above, if you like, amounts not that important.
1 Tablespoon tamari or mushroom ketchup

Gently saute the onion in the olive oil until translucent. Add carrot and mushrooms. Continue cooking for 3-4 minutes or until vegies begin to soften.

Add barley and stir to coat well with oil and transfer to casserole dish. Pour in the stock, tamari and whatever your green stuff of choice is. Stir and cover.

Here it is ready for the oven.
Bake at 350*F or 180*C for 40 mins or so until cooked. Barley will be tender, but not mushy. Mushy is bad.

This serves 4 hearty appetites. If it's served with some other protein, it's a complete and nutritious meal. You can serve it with grated cheese on top, or with a salad with lots of nuts or beans or, some sausages or chops. (It is many years since I ate either of those, but I suspect they'd go well with this dish.)

Mine is in the oven, so I'd better go and check on it!

Yup! It's done.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

I love everything that you cook because you are an excellent cook! (And also because you have some wonderful ideas with vegetables.) What a lucky lady I am to have one of the finest cooks in England as my friend!
I am really looking forward to trying out this recipe--I'll let you know how it goes!

Yvonne said...

Oh this looks yummy! Thanks for sharing. I'm going to try this. ~Yvonne

Kristine said...

I just noticed you are also reading 1 Samuel. I'm trying to mesh Bible history with Story of the World. We're not reading straight from the Bible, but I'm using our favorite children's Bible and we're adding in a lot of commentary from www.ebibleteacher.com's children's Sunday school program. I'm catching things that I wouldn't have just by reading through, lessons taught through Saul, the true friendship shown by Michal and Jonathan, etc. I'm enjoying it so much, and my kids are too.

Romany said...

Oh Windy, thank you. And we love your food too! Thanks for the chicken noodle soup yesterday!

Yvonne, let me know how it goes! You sometimes need to check on the water half way through. If you use something watery like lots of fresh spinach you may not need so much water.

Kristine, I am enjoying 1 Samuel very much but in a way I'm wondering about how to intergrate the stories from other books about this period and whether we should have been reading some sort of chronological Bible. Mmm

DeEtta @ Courageous Joy said...

This looks great! Thank you!!!

Kathy in WA said...

Dorothy--this looks so delicious, I can practically smell it. I am definitely going to try this one!

Cynthia said...

YUM YUM. I can hardly wait to give this a try on one of our very cold wintry days.

Emily said...

I love mushrooms Dorothy! This is definitly going on my list of "to try" recipe list!