Friday, February 09, 2007

Buttermilk Biscuits


I love these buttermilk biscuits. We had them today with lentil and vegetable soup and they were perfect. I've been experimenting for a couple of years with lots of different recipes of the internet, but with no one to teach me how to make (american) biscuits I've been floundering!

Say biscuit here and people think you mean cookies. In the US people think biscuits are like our scones. They are similar but not the same.

I've finally worked out a recipe which works consistently well and so I thought I'd share it here for my British friends!

Buttermilk Biscuits
******************
4 cups flour
2 tablespoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon bicarbonate of soda
1 teaspoon cream of tartar
4 teaspoons sugar
1 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup softened butter
1/2 cup white flora
1 1/2 cups buttermilk

Makes about 20.

Sift all the dry ingredients into a bowl. Cut the fats into the flour. Don't rub too much. It should be quite lumpy, not like pastry.

Make a well in the centre, pour in the buttermilk and stir until a dough is formed.

On a lightly floured surface, knead dough *gently* for 10-12 strokes. (Don't overdo this stage.).

Roll out to 1/2 inch thickness. Cut with 2 1/2 inch ctter, dipping cutter in flour between cuts..

Transfer to well-greased baking sheets. Bake at 200*C for 10-12 minutes or until golden brown.

Best served hot, split open with butter or marge to spread. But also great cold for breakfast. I've frozen them successfully too.

2 comments:

Emily said...

Dorothy your buttermilk biscuits look so good. Hmmmmmm some butter and jelly . . .I think they would hit the spot!

Cynthia said...

Dorothy,
Your biscuits look SO YUMMY! I decided to make some bran muffins last night for this am!