The last few days have been hectic, of course, but Sunday was the toughest. We led worship at church in the morning, which involves getting there at 9.00am and not leaving until 1.00 on a good day. But on Sunday evening there was to be a traditional Carols By Candlelight concert and the ugly, windowless drama theatre in which we meet had to be dressed up and made pretty for the evening. We did our best.{g} It was about 2.00 when we got out of there.
I'd had no time to cook anything for lunch so we traipsed off to a horribly busy Tesco's for sandwiches. We ate silently around the dining table, a little exhausted. The kids repaired to their rooms, Grace to practice her solo for that evening and Jack to finish reading A Christmas Carol. Jamie and I flopped down on the sofa to read and he fell asleep.{g} A couple of hours later we dragged ourselves out again for the evening carol concert.
Grace sang On Christmas Night All Christians Sing as a solo with a beautiful piano accompaniment. She was nervous but very good. There was a group of about 10 singers, Jamie included, singing some lovely pieces like For God So Loved The World (Stainer)and Let All Mortal Flesh Keep Silence and an classical ensemble (a small orchestra really.) I was amazed our little church had such talent. It was most impressive.
I was doing the refreshments. We had hot spiced apple juice, lebkuchen and mince pies. Somehow, during the course of the evening, I managed to do something to my ankle. By the time we got home I was hobbling. The next day, Christmas Eve, I couldn't out any weight on it and there was a black bruise under the skin. Yet I hadn't bashed it against anything so it was all a bit of a mystery!
The kids were in a bad mood all day. Mmmm....not impressed with their attitude. Later, it turned out that Grace was very hot and poorly, so we dosed her up with ibruprofren before bed. Not sure what Jack's excuse was! Jack and I cooked all morning. I tried to tidy up and Grace cleaned the bathroom. Jamie did some last-minute shopping on the way home from work.
Jack went off to a birthday celebration with a friend. They had a wonderful time playing 'Capture the Flag'; which basically involves rampaging around some woods in groups trying to steal something from eachother. All wholesome fun, I was assured! Jack and some of the others went carol singing afterwards round the village, knocking on doors. {Gulp!} I don't think I would have approved of this, had I known in advance. They collected (in tips) £19.74, 5 satsumas, 1 apple and 3 candy canes and 6 KitKats. Mmm.... We'll talk about what Jack should do with his share later today!
We tried to catch up with Tabitha's Travels' but still have a few chapters left to read today. It's almost 7.00 and Jamie has just passed me a cup of tea. I will endeavor not to spill this one over the keyboard and ruin it like I did with the last one last week. Ho Hum! The kids have asked us to wake them at 7.00. Now they are teens, the times they tried to get us up at 5.00am are long passed, thank goodness!
Jamie doesn't go back to work now until 2nd January so we are looking forward to some relaxing together as a family. I do hope Grace isn't ill this morning as I will have to stay behind from church with her. Jamie is playing bass so he has to go. Off to get the kids up now!
Have a Blessed Christmas Day!
Tuesday, December 25, 2007
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)





6 comments:
Praying for Grace and hope she feels better. Have a relaxing Christmas Day, D. We've opened our gifts and are scheduled to go to lunch with Chuck's Dad in a little bit. (We did have fun!! Thanks for your prayers!) ~Yvonne
Capture the flag is also a favorite game here!
Hope your ankle is feeling better and that Grace is over her fever.
Merry Christmas, Dorothy!
I SO relate to your comment about Jamie and work. Mike goes back on 3 Jan and after the craziness of the last few weeks it's a TREAT to have him home.
Thought of you when I pulled out the crackers...but then I forgot to use them - ah well - today.
Dorothy,
Your cyber-friend from American (me) :-) is once again behind in reading blogs. I have been so busy on our road trip to Indiana and now Missouri that I have not had much reading time. Tonight is my night to catch up on my friend Dorothy and her lovely family. It looks like you all had a busy but great Christmas. I pray Grace is feeling better. Oh! By the way, I am behind in responding to comments on my blog too. I am goin to try to work on that tonight too. A Late Merry Christmas to you and the family!
Love, Emily
Hello to my old friend from all of us in Canada - It's Mia writing - Merry Christmas to Dorothy, Jamie, Grace and Jack - we got your card - thank you so much - I am right now enjoying your blog! The children are absolutely beautiful - how well you have done by them! My boys are growing up too - much much too fast! Alex is 16 like Grace and Evan is 14! you can e-mail me at maria.stanfordking@peelsb.com or I am on something here called "Facebook.com" under Mia Stanford-King. I'm sorry to take all your comment space up - please please e-mail me by either of those methods so we can catch up. Love to All!!! Mia
Post a Comment