Since Christmas, our lives have been the usual non-stop hurtling from one urgent task to another. Sometimes I think I am just too old for all this excitement.{g}
The last Life-Songs concert was a great success and so very worth the time and effort we put into it. But no time to rest on our laurels, there is the next one to plan and the Youth Workshop for the end of the month to advertise and prepare for. God has also given me a couple of more ideas for Life-Songs events which I'll be mulling over and praying about from now on. I've been waking up at about 4.00am lately, which is giving me plenty of praying/mulling time. LOL!
Jamie has been working too, too hard. He has had several urgent deadlines at work and plenty of other claims on his time too. We will have to plan a break soon so we can both slip into a slower pace, even just for a couple of days.
Yesterday we had a review and consultation with Grace's Course Leader at college. And a careers' advisor was present. It seems her disability is not quite bad enough for her to get too much in the way of help from Adult Services, but so borderline that we won't know until she has her assessment from Social Services in a year's time. We were warned though that we should expect to be pretty much on our own with her. College were really pleased with her. She's hardworking and popular and has a good appreciation of her condition and is developing useful self-advocacy skills, but it seems there are few jobs available for someone like Grace and we came away feeling very disheartened. It was hard to come home to her and pass on all of college's praises for her, yet knowing what was said about her employment prospects, to feel so sad for her.
Because she's right on the borderline with regard to adult services, it means that although she is not capable of unsupported independent living, according the the neuro-psychologist (and our own common sense) she will probably not ever receive practical social worker asistance to help her. This means that she will need to live with us, or Jack, forever. And it's very difficult not to feel my heart breaking when I think about her future. Her life is going to be incredibly hard, through no fault of her own. And with no extended family support, when Jamie and I pass away. Most of the time, I manage to put those fears to the back of my mind, but yesterday was a stark reminder of how bleak her future prospects seem to be.
I woke to a wintry scene outside. For the second time in a week, we've had a very heavy snowfall. College has been cancelled and I'm not sure the roads will be clear enough for Jamie to get into work. We don't 'do' snow in this country! LOL!
For an hour or two more, before people start to muck it up, the world will be pristine and new-looking. I'm going to get a cup of tea and sit by the wondow watching the birds feeding from the fat block I put up in a tree in the back garden.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)





8 comments:
Perhaps she could have a career singing? I wouldn't let them discourage you. I think Grace has a lot of hidden talents still waiting to be discovered - she may well surprise you!
Hope you manage to get that downtime you need.
Oh Dorothy! Dont' forget God in that equation! We have a friend who we grew up with who has this condition and he is happily married to a wonderful girl and has a one year old son! God is able! And remember He has a plan for Grace. Plans to prosper her and to give her a hope and a future! (you know - Jerimiah!)(((HUGS)))
Oh, Dorothy. I'm sad with you. But the others are right - there's no telling what God will do. Hey, maybe Jesus will come back soon! My aching body would love that! :)
Yes, don't let the flesh get the better of you(like we all do sometimes). Let your faith in God guide you through the future years. We do not know what God has in store for any of us. May the peace of the Lord be with you. XOXO
Praying that you will get the assistance you need for Grace during her adult years. Thankfully for now she has two loving parents and a brother as well....
Dorothy - I just have to thank you for sharing so honestly and sweetly from your heart!
I appreciate you letting us walk with you on this journey.
Bless your family!
I was wondering if you'd posted any snowy pictures! Sounds like you've been very, very busy. I do hope you and Jamie are able to have a break soon.
Maybe Grace will be a Christian singer. I'm sorry that you've had such a distressing assesment. Not able enough to live on her own but not disabled enough for adult assistance? That is ridiculous and very, very unfair! I'll be praying for you and Grace as you look towards the future.
Jodi
((Dorothy)),
While I can't completely imagine the situation having not experienced it myself, just wanted to let you know that I'm praying for you.
Post a Comment