Saturday, September 13, 2008

Gloom

Has Britain just turned into the Gloomy Place?

Is anyone else finding the low grey clouds oppressing? Has anyone else noticed the street lights coming on during the day, which only usually happens during some sort of eclipse? Is anyone else starting to feel depressed after two years of rainy, cool summers?

Or am I turning into some sort of wimp? I can take leaden skies for a day or two, but after weeks and weeks, I'm beginning to feel somewhat hopeless.

It rained so hard yesterday that, even with the wipers on the car going at their fastest, I had to pull over and stop because I couldn't see the hand in front of my face. Is that sort of thing only supposed to happen in the tropics? Jamie was 2 hours late from work as the trains were cancelled because a river had burst its banks. Fortunately, a kind stranger drove him the rest of the way home. (Dunkirk Spirit and all that.)

And now I hear that food prices are going up again because of the poor harvest.

All this and an economic downturn.

But at least I haven't had raw sewage in my living room because of an overflowing storm drain like poor
Mrs Wookie in London. That would just be the perfect end to a most horrible summer.

4 comments:

The Bookworm said...

Yep. Me.

I just posted my own rant - and linked to yours for good measure.

Serenata said...

As Bookworm has said, you are definitely not the only one. I am especially finding it hard to cope at the moment and I KNOW it is because of the grey clouds and rain we have been having continuously. I imagine my light box will be coming into use early this year!

berrypatch said...

I don't even live in England & I can relate. New England has been extremely wet & rainy & gloomy this summer - way more than normal. In fact, one month we had 40 extra inches of rain (that's not a type). ::sigh:: And now fall is coming, the days are getting shorter, it's going to get cold AND snowy. ugh

Cynthia said...

We've had a pretty dreary fall already. Two hours in the rain today at a football game... I'm hoping for an Indian Summer or else it's going to be a VERY LONG winter if it goes from this to snow...