Sunday, February 22, 2009

We Came, We Saw, We Rode on a Catamaran!

London, my beloved capital city. City of my mis-spent youth.
Any excuse for a trip in with the kids. This time, the intention was to investigate modern art as Jack and his friend J, are both sitting Art and Design IGCSE's in a few short weeks.

Grace tagged along and Jamie had a day off left over from last year to use up, so we had A Grand Day Out for five. Waiting at the underground station with the iconic tube map in the background.

Photos must always be taken.

It's the law of our family.

Millais' statue outside Tate Britain. This museum has a huge collection of Pre-Raphaelites, including his painting Ophelia, one of my favourites.
We took a free guided tour of some of the most important paintings in the collection from 1500 to about 1900. It was good to see english painting in a historical perspective.

The boys were keen to progress to the next museum, though. We planned to take the catamaran service between Tate Britain and Tate Modern. (Art from 1900 onwards.) That's where all the 'weird stuff' is and Jack couldn't get enough of that.

A last look up at Tate Britain, though. Donated by Henry Tate, the collection and building were a gift from the sugar magnate of Tate & Lyle. From humble beginnings as a grocer's assistant at age 13, he went on to amass a fortune in the sugar importing and refining business and to endow this staggering collection of art.

Waiting for the boat to take us to Tate Modern. Grace, the London Eye, me and a few of my chins.

J and J pose thoughtfully...

...before going completely bonkers.
Houses of Parliament on the left.

Ah, here's our taxi.

Some scenes from inside the catamaran.


I love the jumble of architecture. This whole area was burned down in the Great Fire of 1666 but every period since then is represented here in this photo and more work continuing. The London skyline is constantly changing.
From Millbank to Bankside on the opposite shore, the journey took about 10 minutes.


We walk past the reproduction of Shakespeare's Globe Theatre on the way to Tate Modern.
Grace and Jack look rather sullen here, but I think it was just the wind in their eyes.

Or that they needed lunch. Or something!
This collection of modern art is housed in a gigantic old converted power station.

We explored the Abstract, Dada, Surrealist and Cubist collections. Jack went around writing down the names of artists he liked, so he could research them later.
My favourite picture however, was this view from a window: Christopher Wren's St Paul's Cathedral and Norman Foster's Millennium Bridge. I could have looked out at it all day.


But it was time to catch the train home!

11 comments:

Missus Wookie said...

Teenagers sullen???? Surely not! But that shot of the wobbily bridge and St Pauls is one of my favourites too. We've not done the Tate in ages, thanks for the reminder. Dragged the kids around the National Gallery and Portrait Gallery last.

We've still got your cooler if you're driving in ever :)

berrypatch said...

Thanks for sharing a look around London. Just one more thing..."Mind the Gap." ;-)

Romany said...

Mrs W, so many times, I wish I'd had that thing! Not sure when we'll have time to come and visit by car again! Thanks for hanging on to it!

Lisa, believe me, I do!{g}

Yvonne said...

Fun! Thanks for the tour! : )

Renee said...

We loved our visit to London... it's so nice to visit a foreign place but not have to worry about the language barrier (well not much at least)

Alexandra said...

I really enjoyed those pictures of London!

Grace's coat looks like a longer version of a jacket I wore today, one of my favorites. Such good taste she has. ;)

Cynthia said...

LOVE the photos and history. I'm so glad you take time to blog about your corner of the world. We must visit you one day!

DeEtta @ Courageous Joy said...

I've fallen in love with London. I really have. Thanks for the tour. I love the photo of you and Grace on the bridge.

Kristine said...

Wonderfully interesting pictures! And I love the new header pic of Jack and Grace, as soon as I got to this day of your post, I recognized their clothing immediately from the newest header!

Kristine said...

Wonderfully interesting pictures! And I love the new header pic of Jack and Grace, as soon as I got to this day of your post, I recognized their clothing immediately from the newest header!

Wild Homeschool Family said...

London is such a wonderful city to look at.

Seems like you all had a fun filled day.