Wednesday, April 25, 2007

Running Away

I want to run away.

I've been thinking a lot about running away lately. In a purely theoretical sense, you understand. Literally running? With my naughty hip? Are you kidding? No, but I've been fantasizing about getting in the car and driving as far as I can on one tank of petrol and staying in a motel and sleeping for a long time. Of course, I'd wake up and have to have a BIG breakfast (the Full English) and then I'd need to find more petrol so I could slink back home and Explain Myself. So, of course, I wouldn't really run away. I just get this impulse occasionally. Am I alone?

My cousin Steve ran away when he was 16. With his 16 year old girlfriend. They got all the way from Toronto to Calgary before their car fell apart. They found somewhere to stay and got jobs and didn't come back for a long time. Months? Years? I was deeply impressed, I remember. He was a legend on our side of the Atlantic. {g}

Running away.
Away from the dishes, the dirty kitchen floor, the strange smell coming from the sink, the book packaging I need to do, the phone calls I need to make, the problems I can't solve, the church I want to be family but isn't, the house I don't know how to repair, the image in the mirror. That old, tired woman. The daughter who isn't exactly what I dreamed of when I was pregnant. The terrible ...self... who could even think such a thing.

I ran away to the circus when I was 17. Did you know that? I have to explain that Billy Smart's Circus' winter quarters were just down the road from my parents and I already worked for the family, who owned Windsor Safari Park (now remodelled as Legoland.) I was offered a caravan to share and I sold ice-creams at their shows in the Big Top. They had trailers with live animals in those days. I went through the tiger trailer once, a narrow corridor between cages of sad, bored creatures who would have run away themselves if they'd had the energy.

It didn't last long. Though I did try the high-wire and trapeze before I slunk home to do my homework. Running away is scary. But coming home is harder. Staying home. Blooming where you're planted. It's hard work. Blooming hard.

Because if I don't love my family, who will? If I don't clean the kitchen bin out, who would? If it's not me tying our household together, keeping them clean and fed and guided and loved then who?

I'd love to be able to tie up this post neatly with scripture and renewed direction, but I'm too exhausted to do that. I cry out, 'Help me Lord'. That's all I can do. Like the psalmists I know that God is big enough to listen to my complaints, to count my tears and yet not have to give an account to me for His actions. That, itself, is strangely reassuring.

Is the fleeing impulse, the fantasy of running away, a pressure-relieving mechanism during times of stress? Maybe I'd explode if I didn't dream about driving, driving, driving up the M1 on one tank of petrol?

How about you?

5 comments:

Yvonne said...

D - I'm right there with you. I also don't have Scripture and renewed direction. Sending hugs! ~Cavewoman aka ~Yvonne

DeEtta @ Courageous Joy said...

I have that same day dream you describe in the first paragraph....

Linda said...

Dorothy, I know exactly how I feel. I want to run away from all the extra work that's been piled on me by my husband's two businesses which he started to provide an "income" for us when he walked away from his job as an assoc. pastor because the lead pastor had a serious integrity issue. I want to run away from the at least once weekly (probably more often) question of how we are going to pay such-and-such bill which should be paid from business #1 when there is no $ in business #1, only in business #2. And if we transfer $ from 2 to 1, how do we figure that all out tax-wise? I want to run away from the way I feel about my husband, which is constantly irritated by him and having no respect for him, even though I know I should respect him unconditionally - from a marriage that is held together only by committment not by love. I want to run away from 4 children that I NEVER get a break from. I could go on, but I'm depressing myself. When you find the scripture and renewed direction, would you let me know?

Romany said...

Linda,You precious child of God, you. I can feel your pain in that response.

I haven't got any answers for you. But I know I'm feeling a little better today, probably because I asked for prayer and some email sisters prayed for me.

Lord, look with love and compassion upon your daughter, Linda. Please surround her with your peace and love. We ask that you will reach down into her life in a tangible way so that she will know you walk beside her during this difficult time. Lord God, help her husband to know the right things to do for his family. Give him wisdom and integrity in equal measure.

Amen

Jodi said...

Well yes I guess I'd have to say yes sometimes. Mostly in winter though. Or when my AS boy is being extra AS, or when my DH is being irritating, or when the little one whines, or the middle one won't stop bouncing or the girl has a tween moment (that's simply not allowed of my only girl-LOL). But it' almost summer now and that is something worth staying for. My running away would always be south not north LOL.