This week, the local yahoo group I moderate had a rather nasty letter posted about 'all these mothers spending so much time on the computer and neglecting their families and homes'. I was particularly wounded by that accusation at a time when we should all be pulling together to fight the proposed changes to Home Education in this country.
As an exercise, I thought I'd jot down all the things I did yesterday, apart from everything I did at the computer, which was a lot. This is a fairly typical summer holiday day at home for me.
Five loads of laundry, washed and dried. (Still catching up from camping at Soul Survivor.) One load ironed.
One pair of living room curtains hemmed, ironed and replaced. Really hurt my knees jumping down from the piano stool I was standing on to replace the curtains. Note to self, you are too old to jump from anything any more.
Some work done toward developing the Music Team at our church. Put in a request for some money from the Diaconate for percussion instruments and a drumming workshop planned.
Booked dental appointments for us all.
Did some thinking about the service on Sunday which we are, by default, leading. Everyone else is on holiday, who would normally preach so we decided on a cafe-style church. LOL! Thought about the food I'll need to buy for that on Saturday.
Spoke to a friend on the phone whom I've not seen in a few months. Arranged to meet for coffee next week.
Supervised the kids cooking their own lunch. Yes, they still need supervision. (Unless I wanted to spend the afternoon down at the ER.) I've tried to teach them to cook for years, but they are still hopeless.
Spent about 45 minutes weeding the garden and picking beans and courgettes. Cooked those veg to have with vegie sausages for dinner.
Hoovered downstairs.
Made some notes about our pastor's Ordination we're doing the music for in October.
Had conversations with Grace, 18, on holiday from FE college, about obsessional behaviour and how to overcome her difficulties with changing activities. She is beginning to show some real insight into the effect her condition has on her behaviour and so I was very encouraged about that.
Had lots of conversations with ds, 15, about music. He played me a new album he's bought, twice, because he loves it so much and wants me to love it too. Ifeel privileged that, at his age, he still wants to discuss his music with me. I think that's down to HE.
Planned a date with Jamie tonight while the kids are out at Youth Group. And that's all I'm going to tell you about that!
I don't think my wifely and motherly duties are being neglected.{vbg}
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)





8 comments:
I dont think anything has been neglected either.I didnt realise Soul Survivor had started,I have the joy of facing that muddy laundry pile in a fortnight.
I see those sorts of nasty comments on message boards and groups more than I'd like to say.
It's usually someone just wanting to shut people up...you know they are losing an argument, or don't like what someone is saying, so they throw that statement out. Or maybe they just want attention. And some people get upset because they can't figure out how to manage their time well so that they can get computer time.
Anyway, it's none of their bees wax. Pat yourself on the back for being very efficient with your time that you can manage both family and social networking. :)
Wow, that was a very productive day... you go girl
Certainly doesn't sound like you are neglecting anything to me. I feel quite worn out with reading all you achieved! There is always someone out to be nasty unfortunately. Hold your head up and keep doing just what you are.
What a day! You certainly are not neglecting your duties. I must admit I have been wondering how people spend so much time on the internet discussing the report and implications. I certainly wouldn't be so rude as to suggest they were neglecting their duties but as a mother of 4 I just don't have the time to be going through all the recommendations bit by bit. However, I know how important it is that we fight it. I have so appreciated all the work that other people (and especially you)have put into it though. Instead I have written to my MP among others and have brought my retired father in to research etc. He has way more time on his hands than I do! Anyway, keep up the good work :-)
Folks, that didn't seem like a particularly busy day to me. It felt quite relaxed because I was home all day. The busy ones are the ones where I have to be driving places or going into town or something.
Or maybe it's because I'm usually up at about 5.00? I can pack a lot into the day?
It's all about priorities, isn't it? Mine, in this season in my life, are my family, my faith (with its associated music ministry) and home education. In a different seasons, my priorities have been different.
I don't have to earn a living, thankfully, because Jamie earns enough for all four of us. And my kids are not needing attention on a minute to minute basis any more.
But times change. And priorities change with them.
I'm not sure housework will ever be in my top 3 priorites. {sigh} My house ins't filthy, but it's not always exactly clean and tidy. Maybe one day. {vbg}
Nah. It is a truth universally acknowledged that no one's last words were ever 'I wish I'd done more dusting'.
Never let housework mug your to do list :)
It's sad when people have nothing else to complain about other than hard working hs moms! I'd challenge them to follow you for a week and then they'd think 2x before throwing darts your direction.
Post a Comment