Wednesday, August 05, 2009

Mystery Picture - Soul Survivor

Okay, the mystery picture.

You have to get that Soul Survivor is basically a Christian Youth Music Festival. Well, it's not meant to be, but in effect, that's what it is.

And summer festivals in Britain, because of our worsening summers, are all conducted in the rain. Camping in the rain equals lots of mud. Hence the need for Festival Wellies these days. (Wellingtons=rubber boots)

I was impressed with how colourful and pretty wellies can be these days and immediately nipped off to ASDA to get Grace a pair of these purple ones.

The picture?
I took Grace to Soul Sista, a daily meeting for teenaged girls about teen girl issues from a Christian point of view, which was excellent, btw. I lurked, in my youth leader guise, at the back. This meeting was about body image and the 2,000 or so girls had just gone off in corners of the huge showground hall to pray in groups for those who were struggling with identity, body issues, anorexia etc etc. So, this is a scene of girls ministering to eachother whilst someone sang beautiful Christian songs in the background.

I just had to try and capture the scene of deserted wellies. It's so Soul Survivor.


Soul Sista is the part of Soul Survivor which I most heartily approved of and it's going on tour. If you have a teenaged girl, you may want to check out the website and see if they are coming to a town near you. http://www.soulsista.co.uk/

Below is from one of the evening meetings. Ben Cantelon, singer/song-writer and worship leader with Soul Survivor is just getting ready to play.

The music was excellent. Two worship sets of authentic INDIGINOUS music, a day, for 5 days was enough to make me forget the sleepless nights as teens rampaged around the field all night, the cold and rain, the cooking meals whilst huddled in the tent and the foul toilets.
.
The image of those 4-5,000 kids jumping up and down with excitement for their songs about Jesus was one I will not quickly forget. Teenagers can be reached for Him through *their* music style. It was quite obvious at this festival that we are on the right track with Life-Songs. Very heartening.

2 comments:

Cynthia said...

What a great opportunity! Glad you were able to go.

Alexandra said...

All I can say is, "Wow!". I hope my children have this kind of opportunity when they are teens. Sometimes I jump ahead and think I might struggle to find wholesome teen activities for them. Our area is very transient, and the groups(if any) reflect this.