Tuesday, April 10, 2007

The Decrepitude Chronicles Part 1

I am officially falling apart.

When I look in the mirror these days I see the 20 year old I have always obviously been, plus added aging and gravity effects. I don't like being a 20 year old with grey hair and bags under her eyes. What I dislike even more is creaky joints which give way under the least bit of stress. I have a bad hip. A naughty hip. Naughty hip has to have an x-ray at the hospital today.

The last time I blogged about this, my friend Liz helpfully suggested that decrepitude was not a nice word and I should replace it in future with 'scrumdillyumptiousness'. I tried that out this morning.

'Jamie,' quoth I, 'I have to go to the hospital today for an X-ray on my hip because I am so scrumdillyumptious.'

His reaction?

'Yup, have you seen the car keys?'

I'll try it on the radiographer later but I'm not convinced, Liz.

6 comments:

Kathy in WA said...

Still, it is a great word even if it didn't stun Jamie. I hope the radiographer shows more appreciation. It's also a fun word to say. That alone has to be worth something.

I'm not very fond of creaky bones and obvious signs of aging myself. Sigh.

Anonymous said...

You need to hang out with my brother Tim - he has NO concept of how old a person is except that he WILL say "you're so old you're almost bald" which would be VERY bothersome if it were true. But since it's not true of ME at this point, I don't worry about it.

As for Jamie, I was SURE you would say that he heard your scrumdillyumptious comment & laughed so hard that HIS hip gave out & he had to roll around on the floor.

Tell him I am HIGHLY disappointed in his lack of entertaining reaction. He needs to practice, apparently.

Cynthia said...

LOL....too funny! I hope your x-ray goes well.

Jodi said...

If you can't get a reaction with such an interesting word as that I don't know what you can try next!

berrypatch said...

I'm impressed you can type that word let alone say it! :-) Hmmm, maybe I'll have to try it out on my hubby & see what reaction I get.....

The Bookworm said...

Scrumpdillyumptious? You are obviously associating with Mary Poppins. I suggest asking her to wave her magic umbrella in the direction of your hip. Seriously, I hope your creeping decrepitude is stopped in your tracks.