I'm very excited about this recipe because it's low in fat, full of vitamins and filling! I didn't measure the ingredients, just threw them together, but I don't think it matters too much if your amounts are inexact.
8 Flour tortillas
1 kg of new potatoes (about 2 lbs?) chopped into quite small chunks
a bunch of spring onions (scallions/green onions), sliced
1 tablespoon olive oil
1 teaspoon marjoram
1 teaspoon thyme
1 tin cooked pinto beans, rinsed and drained
salt and pepper to taste
2 cups fresh home-made salsa, whatever recipe you usually use, not too wet, drain if necessary
2 avocados, peeled, sliced and drizzled with lemon juice to prevent browning
Boil the potato pieces for 5 minutes and then fry with the oil and spring onions, thyme and marjoram. Add the drained pinto beans, warm the whole lot through again, seasoning with a little salt and pepper, if you like.
Warm the tortillas and make up the burritos by spreading the salsa first, loading with the potato/bean mixture and slices of avocado.
This was so filling we each only needed 2 for dinner, followed by slices of melon. We had leftovers for lunch today as there was quite a lot of it. I feel very virtuous as there was so little fat, no dairy products at all and yummy fresh veg and herbs with all those vitamins.
Enjoy!
Saturday, August 04, 2007
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)





5 comments:
Oh YUM - my favorite type of meals!
This sounds really, really yummy!! Do you have a favorite salsa recipe you use?? Share.
Kathy, Not really.
I just kind chop a bunch of stuff up finely (red onion or shallots, fresh ripe tomatoes, green chilies) and add some cumin, lemon juice, a tiny bit of sugar to cut the acidity of the toms, salt and pepper. Oh and LOADS of chopped fresh coriander (cilantro). If it tastes good, it's ready. {g}
A really good variation is fewer tomatoes and finely chopped mango. Mango salsa is wonderful in the summer!
These sound fabulous! I love making burritos for dinner. I'll admit that mine aren't as healthy though. I've NEVER told my family that the meat packaged as "chorizo" is something completely repulsive like cheeks (the face kind).
But the meat is spiced beyond recognition (not that it makes it any better), and the burritos sure make great leftovers, since I make a dozen or so at a time!
I'm glad you posted this recipe. We've been doing more veggie recipes lately and I'm going to give this a try.
Post a Comment