Wednesday, January 13, 2010

Villages of Oxfordshire - Lower Heyford

Driving to Upper Heyford, we saw this wonderful old vehicle. It was a bit cold for the top to be down
though!
 
The ground was frozen, but this was before the Big Snow Dump.

Another walk, this time on New Year's Day. Walking boots on.
This tree was planted to commemorate Queen Victoria's Diamond Jubilee.



The sun is low, even at midday. Jamie, Grace and I striding purposefully.

The almost frozen canal.
I've known people who live in canal boats who say they are very cozy in the winter!


Jack testing the ice.

The river and canal have both flooded into the field.

What a great place for a tree house.

The road bridge over the canal is so light,
even I can raise it.


By now our lips were frozen and it was hard to smile.

Jack can't resist sliding on a patch of ice.

Village pubs, with open fires, are a welcome sight on a cold day.

6 comments:

The Nowlin Family said...

Hi Dorothy,
I recognize all of these points along your walk! That was one of our favorite walks with the children when we lived there - we probably went at least a dozen times. The children would often ask the canal boat operators if they could open/close the lock for them and they received a few rides through the lock also. Thanks for the great photos once again.
Joelyn

Romany said...

Hi Joelyn, I hope the photos bring back happy memories!

So, when are youir updating YOUR blog? LOL!

Renee said...

Great to have you posting again. One of the days that it was in the teens here, a young woman was out in her convertible with the top down.... I figure she must be stupid or it was broken :)

Cynthia said...

Great photos! As always, I LOVE seeing your country through your blog.

Cynthia said...

Great photos! As always, I LOVE seeing your country through your blog.

Wild Homeschool Family said...

Very nice!