I went for an optician's appointment the other day and took Jack for an eye test. His eyesight has always been fine and I have no reason to believe that has changed but just wanted to check before he goes off to FE College in September. The office manager told me she'd been in touch with the Primary Care Agency and they were demanding that he pay £26 for the test because he was not registered at a school.
Well now. I sent him off for a coffee and I had my test and found out I need new reading glasses, so I cried at the thought of the £120 I have to pay for them. Okay, I didn't cry but I was upset. I took the name and number of the person at the PCA whom the Opticians had spoken to, went home and have spent much of the last few days tracking people down and shouting at them about this. Okay, I didn't shout but I was extremely terse.{g}
No one is interested in the fact that I still get Child Benefit for him or how full time his education is, just that he's not registered at a Local Authority school, which is how they check eligibility for kids 16+.
The PCA are adamant that they won't fund it because he's not registered with the LA (and so could be working.) They say the only way he could get free eye tests (and presumably prescriptions/dental as well) is by having an HC1 exemption certificate to prove that he has a low income. I kept saying, 'He doesn't have a low income. He doesn't have any income, because he's a child in year 11.' But that fell on deaf ears.
Next, I spoke to the Low Income Unit who issue the HC1 forms. They say that the HC1 is defininitely not designed for him, because he's still a child in full time education. {sigh} They tell me to go to the Dept of Health. The PCA also says it's because of Dept of Health policies.
Dept Health can't find their policies on HE'd children but will get back to me in 3 working days to tell me what they are. I personally doubt that they have any and the PCA is just making this up. If it's PCA policy then the Dept of Health will not overrride it, so I guess then it will then be time to see my poor MP, who is frankly sick to death of me and Home Ed now, because I've been lobbying him to ensure he doesn't support the stupid new bill going through Parliament, which is supposed, by the way, to make sure that home educated students get 'support' from the LA. Yeah, right. Like the support he gets now from the PCA.
I'm furious.
I've never complained about not having access to sports/music tuition, or free computers, or any of the other stuff we're excluded from because we HE and I don't even complain about having spent over a THOUSAND pounds on exam entries in the last year, because, when we didn't put him in school, we knew that would happen.
However, to be denied access to HEALTH CARE on the basis of the VENUE of his education is something 'up with which I will not put', as Winston Churchill said about prepositions at the end of sentences.
PS I realise this isn't going to make much sense to US readers and I am sorry about that, but I am sure you've also experienced the idiocy of government beaurocracy at some point. {g}
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
11 comments:
Hmm ds has received free eyetests because he's in full time home education - I just took in the child benefit forms and letter they sent. They did have to check but he's had a couple of tests.
I pointed out he was registered - with me to the opticians but then they still didn't understand so checked.
Hope you get it sorted!
Oh and £120 for a pair of glasses??? Mine are always at least double that :sigh: But without them I'd walk past myself not recognizing that strange woman...
I'm in the US and it makes perfect sense. Sounds a bit like my recent interaction with the Passport Agency. When it looked like Sophia's passport was in danger of not arriving before her departure date (it was still being processed by the Chicago office), the National Passport Information Center suggested that I make an appointment to go up to the Boston office to get expedited processing. Only problem was, I would need her expired passport which was sitting in the Chicago office. Hello??? Don't passport offices talk to each other? It appears not.
I understand all too well, Dorothy. I hope it gets worked out. Dealing with government agencies (health and what not) is one of THE most frustrating things to do I think.
Are you able to get your prescription and order online? I use Zenni Optical which may just be for the states, but there might be some that ship to Europe. I paid just $8.00 plus shipping for my son's wire rimmed glasses.
This isn't a new problem Dorothy, it came up a few years ago when the Govt produced a new leaflet saying just that - 16 year olds needed to be at a DFES registered establishment. Illogically different rules apply to free prescriptions etc, so everyone thought that it wasn't an intended change, just an error that crept in. EO did make some complaints about it, but it obviously hasn't been resolved; either there are few 16+ home educated young people around, or the average optician just asks "are they in full time ed?" to which they get the answer yes! (Actually thinking about it, when dd had her eyes tested last year, that was the question we were asked and the answer we gave, even though she was then 17 and still home educated)
with my dh being in the Army, we deal with the idiocy of govt bureaucracy all the time.... check out mapquest to see how far my dh has been driving nearly monthly for about the last year for dental care..... from northern AL to Fort Campbell, KY.
I don't understand how some of you have got away with this, unless the form from Thames Valley PCA is just different than everyone else's. It doesn't say, 'state whether still in full time education, it specifically asks for the institution where ed is taking place.
I have the HC1 form and it has a ridiculous amount of stupid questions like, 'Do you or your partner have a loan to adapt your home for the special needs of a diabled person?'
Er no. He's just a child still in year 11.
Argh, I would be angry too. Hope this is able to be sorted out.
Your post made perfect sense to me, and your government bureaucracy sounds just as inane and ineffective as ours. I hope you got it straightened out.
ERRRRR... I'd be upset as well. Have you found out anything since this post?
Was reading through you blog after replying to a post on the down--to--earth forum.
My sister was homeschooled, I was not. The US doesn't have all the social programs, but there is plenty that HE students miss out on. Well, private schooled students, too. I teach a private school and I've run into the "your not a public school (gov't run), so you don't qualify."
Later posts look like stuff has panned out okay, or you've absorbed the cost. I guess that's what happens when you work against the flow.
Post a Comment