Tuesday, August 07, 2007

The Unbearable Heaviness of Being Decrepit

Or, alternatively, 'I'm Tired'. Yeah, that will do. {g}

When we haven't been dashing off across the flooded countryside to youth hostels, we've been emptying rooms and completely cleaning and reorganising them. So far, we've painted, cleaned, carpeted and reorganised Grace's room. I've cleaned and decluttered our 'conservatory' (cross between a garage, shed, laundry, storage room.) And yesterday we started Jack's room again. Those of you who've been paying close attention to this blog (and why have you been doing that? You stalker, you.) will have noticed that Jack and I completely redid his room two weeks ago. So why have we emptied it again, you may ask?

Ah-HA! Well, dear Reader, he's away at camp this week and does not know that we've dismantled his bed, and have new carpet arriving tomorrow. And today, in a fit of menopausal anxiety or something, I drove off to Homebase for paint. I decided on Almond White. I hope he likes it. Grace has been 'helping me'. I'll say no more about that except that my hair has more highlights today than it did yesterday.

Yesterday, I took Grace and 3 other local home-educated sprogs off to A Day of Whacky Science put on by a friend's son and his girlfriend. (They're eccentric scientists themselves.) They had a blast (literally) but it was exhausting. I'll post pictures when I have a little time.

Jamie took Jack away to a youth Hostel in Brecon, Wales for the weekend and they climbed a mountain. Pictures of that up soon too.

So, this week, I have to set up 5 educational trips for our home-ed group: kayaking, skiing, snowboarding, a visit to Bletchely Park where the Enigma code was cracked and all sorts of hush-hush secret cypher work done during WW2 and a day of outdoor sports.

I also have a Children's Praise Party to sort out for church in 2 weeks' time.

I still haven't ordered all the materials we need for next year yet.

My summer shoes fell apart yesterday so I have to find time this week to go and buy a new pair which is very hard because I have such big feet and it always makes me cry that I can't find any to fit. And a menopausal woman with preternaturally large feet sitting, sobbing with her head in her hands in a shoe shop is a disconcerting sight for anyone.

I have shed-loads of work to do for my books business and emails to reply to and phone calls to return.

And my hip hurts.

Ah well, back to painting...

One day, they will arise and call me blessed.{g}

9 comments:

Debbie said...

Wow, Dorothy, what a lot of work you have done...you desire to be tired!

Can't wait for the promised pictures.

The Bookworm said...

Well, you may be decrepit, tired and big-footed, but at least you aren't bored.

DeEtta @ Courageous Joy said...

You have gotten an incredible amount of work done and continued to find time for fun. I'm impressed!

Can't wait to see pictures of Wales, Jack's room and his sports adventures.

Anonymous said...

Oh sympathy in vats, as I'm tired too - for praise party read guide camp and for books read vegetables oh and my feet aren't big but they are disgusting and in shreds, does that count? The rest of me is way too big at the moment though, and yes, I feel like sobbing too!
Still, at least it's stopped raining. Chin up, eh?!
Jackie

Serenata said...

Looking forward to the before and after photos! You deserve to feel tired, especially after achieving so much. Well done

Kathy in WA said...

My desire, every summer, is to tackle some house projects. One year I painted the entire living room and kitchen. It was wonderful. Of course, I had a friend alongside me helping the entire time. I think I was very spoiled.

This summer I haven't gotten anything done around the home at all. Can I please live vicariously through you and some of the other gals who are doing the summer clean up and the decluttering projects? pretty please!

Renee said...

Dorothy,
Maybe you need to plan a trip to the Bavarian Alps? a ski trip? a hiking trip?

Cynthia said...

You're really whipping through a LOT of projects! Don't forget you also reorganized your scrapbooking area, too!

I bet your ds will be THRILLED with his new carpet and paint job! How exciting.

My my.. you sure are organizing a LOT Of activities these days! WAY TO GO!

Lisa in Jax said...

You should enter this room as part of the Back to School Clean-up Challenge! It sounds like you got alot accomplished!