Thursday, August 16, 2007

English Heritage Festival of History Weekend

We love History in our family.

Well, the kids used to love it but years of doing Sonlight has dented that passion somewhat. (History overkill from Sonlight, and I confess, from me.) Jack now says he prefers Science. Which is weird, because we've hardly done any Science. Grace enjoys History but never remembers much of it. Jamie doesn't remember ANY History from school. We'll be watching a film and he'll say things like, 'I didn't know the Russians were in WW2!' or 'I didn't know the Japanese attacked Pearl Harbour.

Which I find so shocking that I gasp open-mouthed. And he has to close my mouth for me. And that's not good for a marriage.

Okay, so it's just me who loves History.

But because they all love ME, they willingly came along to this event last weekend. And even dragged, sorry, invited, a friend along too.

There were 40 encampments, or events, like the WW1 dogfight I posted about yesterday, all in the same place. 2,000 years of British History in one weekend! It doesn't get better than this.

A Romano-British rebellion of some sort.


Grace was SOOOOOO embarrassed I'd asked if I could photograph the girls with this privateer that she couldn't bear to open her eyes. I think it was his passing resemblance to a certain film star which had her all of a dither.


Grace: 'And then she asked if she could take his picture with me. I just about DIED!'

Jack: 'Yeah parents, what are they good for? Dad, can you buy me a sheepskin?'

I laid down to watch the aerial combat.

Ye Olde Blacksmith.


A mad old Parliamentarian Colonel.


' What are we doing here, again? I forgot.'

'Rebelling against Rome again, I think.'

'Oh yes. I wonder what's for lunch?'

Some wee Celts fighting in front of the American GI tents.


'I didn't know the Russians were involved in WW2!'



'Dad, can you buy me some puttees?'

'Was that you or the horse?'


Grace joins the vocal harmony workshop, singing some old coster-monger songs.
'Cherry ripe. Cherry ripe. Won't you buy my cherries? Won't you buy, buy, buy?'

Tudor lunch. Not pigs trotters again?


This English Civil War man accused Grace of being a boy because she was wearing 'breeches'. How she laughed!



The Black Knight just about to joust.


Jack took this picture of a ...what is that called? A sensor? Censor?


There was LOTS of fighting.

I mean LOTS!

Napoleonic War redcoats. Before someone told them they were more likely to get picked off by snipers in red.

It only took us 200 years to figure that one out.
That's better!

See. Jack LOVES History, really!

We tried to find the
Battle of Naseby site on the way home as it was just a few miles away. But, unfortunately, I was map reading.

So we got lost and went home.

Excellent day though!

13 comments:

Cynthia said...

Dorothy,
Thanks to homeschool, I now LOVE history! This event sounds awesome. If we ever get to visit I would hope there would be something like this to attend!

The Bookworm said...

Wow! Now I understand why you enthuse about this event! And ... ahem ... it is censer {g}

Serenata said...

What great fun, glad you all, okay well you, enjoyed yourself!

Alexandra said...

Wonderful pictures, beautiful horses...makes one feel as if they are there in Tudor times!

You are correct, that bowl suspended by the chain was called a censer. Today is is called thurible.

I'm enjoying all your pictures. The ones of Wales are nice as well. My sister and her family have been living in Bromley for the past three years, but we haven't visited them yet. I've visited the U.K. many time when I was a child. I've always enjoyed it.

Linda said...

Landon thinks your comments are almost as good as the pictures. He is so jealous, as usual!

Anonymous said...

I feel very lucky to have attended this same wonderful festival, but I can't help but wonder why I didn't see some of these same things! Oh well, I suppose 2000 years of history is a bit hard to see in one day :) Nevertheless, it was funny to see the picture of the authentic looking pirate (Johnny Depp would be impressed) because that was the one major notable moment my dear husband remembers fondly. He kept saying, "It's really too bad you were taking the 3 girls to the toilet [again!] this guy was COOL!" So, it is with pleasure that I tell him I didn't miss out after all ;)
Glad you had a great day and that the weather held out. It was (and I never thought I'd say this about THIS summer) a bit too hot for the little ones and their mama :)

Anonymous said...

Windy,

Did you watch the dogfight too? What did you think?

You had a much nicer day for it than we did. Rain, shine, overcast all in the space of 5 minutes. Talk about changeable. {g}

I hope you enjoyed it as much as we did!

Anonymous said...

Yes, we had just arrived when the airplanes started their flying. It was wonderful! So much better than last year. Your pictures were amazingly clear and close--mine came out fuzzy and distant, but then again, I also had M & G shouting at me to snap shots of George fighting the dragon. Obviously, bouncing back and forth between a semi-close dragon and zooming airplanes wasn't very good for camera focusing :)

Kathy in WA said...

Great pictures! I love this. Ds loves to go to Civil War re-enactments (we're in the north so they're not very common). It looks like you had a fantastic day. How nice of you to drag everyone along on your history adventure. :)

Cute pictures of Grace - have to wonder, if you have your eyes closed for the picture is it less embarrassing?

Anonymous said...

Once again you've outdone us all -- very impressive outing while everyone else in the world stayed home & watched video games or perhaps took their first excursion in months & ended up in the smack-dab middle of a Tropical Storm in the heartland.
Argh indeed.

Anonymous said...

Liz,

We do like to get out and about.{g} Well, all except Grace who would prefer to stay in her room and draw whilst listening to music, for months on end. But we make her get out and generally she enjoys herself when she does.

And this is why I'll never accept a reading challenge! No time to read fiction while there's LIFE to be lived! {g}

Even in this miserable wet, windy summer.

Kristine said...

FUN stuff! I too love history and am so thankful that my kids have picked up on some of that enthusiasm. But I also feel we've done a bit of overkill (gasp!) and we'll scale back a bit this year to be able to spend more time on other subjects.

Emily said...

Oh I love history too! It's my favorite subject. This looks like so much fun!