I'm so worried about Grace this week. She goes through these times when she appears less 'with it', less engaged, doesn't want to participate in anything or leave the house or see the few 'friends' she has. She will wake up looking sad and withdrawn and stay that way for days on end. I used to think it was hormonal, but after keeping track of that, it doesn't seem to be. Then I thought it might be linked to when we forget her 'brain oil' (Omegas) but it isn't.
We can ask, 'What's wrong, Grace?' and she just shrugs her shoulders, looking blank. I'm not even sure anything IS wrong. It's just as though an internal switch hasn't been turned on. She appears, to all intents and purposes, depressed, but she doesn't cry or refuse food. I don't think that's it. She just isn't... there.
Yet, a few days previously, she could have been happy and bubbly and chatty (as much as Grace can be chatty) and coping really well with social interaction with others.
It's possibly adolescence, but I really think, that physically, she's over that. That all happened several years ago. These lengthy 'absences' have been going on all her life.
I MADE her go out with Jack and two of their friends yesterday, swimming, which she loves, thinking it might break the mood, if that's what it was. But when I picked them up she was still looking...switched off. And she had left her handbag (containing her purse and phone) in a public place the whole time she was swimming, because she couldn't quite figure out how to use the locker and couldn't find the courage to ask her friend. That's pretty typical Grace behaviour. I shouldn't be surprised, but I told her off about that when she got home and she looked even more crushed and disappeared upstairs to draw (self-soothing 'abnormal intensity' behaviour.) I don't know how to teach her these common sense things without making her feel incompetent.
This autism thing is so hard.
This morning, I woke at about 4.00. It was still dark. My nose was blocked and my mouth dry and even though I've taken to sleeping sitting up, propped up with cushions these days, I couldn't get my airways cleared, so I remained awake, praying, pleading with the Lord, asking for an easier path for my daughter to follow. 'Don't you care about her Lord? Can't you see how hard her life is going to be?' I tried to remember the promises of the Bible. I tried to picture Jesus sitting by her bed, holding her hand. I tried to think about an angel standing, arms outstretched, protecting her.
But I couldn't. All I kept thinking was, 'What will happen to Grace after her Dad and I are gone?'
Obviously, I wasn't going to be able to sleep, so I got up and walked around in the pre-Dawn light. I wish I could say that I'm feeling better now that dawn is here and I've read my Bible and prayed. But I'm not. Because she still has Autism.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
8 comments:
I could have written this, Dorothy. I've been worried about my oldest...and my husband. Two different issues, but ones that God has chosen not to take the issue away, or give healing, etc...
I have nothing helpful to say...just that I understand. Love you, sister. ~Yvonne
((((Dorothy))))
I wish I had some great words of wisdom or comfort. We pray for Grace and for you.
I know things will never be perfect, but I hope Grace feels more like her old self soon.
Oh Dorothy. I'm so sorry. I've been away for a week at camp, and if it helps, H had one of her 'spells' as well, and had pretty much of a rotten time. Maybe it's the moon? You're right. What are they going to do? I'm guessing God has it covered. But like you, that doesn't send me off to sleep at 2am.
Hugs anyway.
Jackie
x
Oh Dorothy, my OS seems to have these episodes as well. Three days ago he was bright and bubbly, as much as he ever is! The next he spent all day in what all I can call is a 'shell'. Sometimes I think he displays many autistic like symptoms, but I think with him it is because... (shrugs) well I don't really know apart from him being a 16 year old boy (yob - hey I like that!). With our ys, who is autistic, he well... never stops talking... and you always know what mood he is in by how much he verbally stims. No thoughts of wisdom I'm afraid but sending hugs your way.
((((((Dorothy))))) I could say try not to worry about the future until it's there but I know that is usually impossible, having had thoughts like these myself.
I think kids on the spectrum just have those off times. It has pretty much always been like that for my son, even well before adolescence hit as it only just is now. I try to enjoy the good times because it reminds me that he is not always super AS. It is good to see those better times sometimes. It's hard when the more AS times seem to stay around for long periods. You start to lose hope somewhat. I think that's normal.
I am trying to catch up on blogs this weekend and have browsed through your last week or so of posts. Excellent photos from the mountain, the air show, the science day and the history festival. I will say I always comment when I view a blog unless the blog does not let me. Although I don't always comment on every post when playing catch up-like today!
Wish I could say something that would bring hope and comfort and all that. But my prayers are with you and I hope your daughter begins feeling better again, soon.
Dorothy,
I have no helpful advice and not knowing anyone with autism I won't even pretend to understand.
But, I do hear the concern in your tone and I'm sorry you have to go through this.
Praying for you and your dd!
Dorothy,
Praying for you and Grace!
With much love,
Emily
Post a Comment