Friday, March 13, 2009

Grace is Literate! Yay! {g}

Grace sat her first ever public examination on Tuesday!

Most students sit Level 1 exams at age 16 in this country. Because we were homeschooling Grace for a good education rather than examinations we did not go down the exam route with her. She's been doing various coursework-based qualifications at Entry Levels 1, 2 and 3 at Further Education College and has a number of those certificates, but this is the first time she's been in an examination room taking a timed exam.

It was a City and Guilds Literacy Level 1 (equivalent to GCSE grades D-G) and because it was a multiple choice exam she got the results immediately. She PASSED!!!!!! Yippee! Unfortunately, her friend, the girl with Aspergers, who I think of as more able than G, did not pass. Autism is a funny thing. It affects you in all sorts of unpredictable ways.

This is a very big deal for Grace. Having this certificate will make her much more employable in the future. I'm thrilled for her. It's not great compared to the general population, or compared to the qualifications Jamie and I have, or the ones Jack will no doubt obtain. But this is BIG for her. She will be going for the Level 2 next year.

For anyone who's interested, below is the equivalency table from the National Qualifications
Framework.

Advanced / Level 3 / AS/A / Vocational A Level / NVQ3
Intermediate / level 2 / GCSE A*-C/ Intermediate GNVQ / NVQ 2
Foundation / Level 1/ GCSE D-G / Foundation GNVQ /NVQ 1
Entry level 3
Entry Level 2
Entry Level 1

11 comments:

Jackie said...

Oh well done, Grace!
Dorothy, you know what? You need to cut yourself some slack. I am telling you now it is time to stop laying awake nights worrying. Look what you have done for and with this young woman!
She just passed a GCSE equivalent, she is about to be baptised, she has a flourishing musical 'career', she is beautiful, well adjusted, and talented.
And we didn't even get to her additional challenges yet!
You are doing a brilliant job.
Now go to sleep. Well. Not now obviously .....
Hugs

Jackie

Pamela said...

Congratulations, Grace!

The Bookworm said...

Well done, Grace! And well done you too, Dorothy. And what Jackie said :)

Alexandra said...

That's fabulous! We don't "test" either. We have him do open book tests, but I'm more concerned about him learning than testing well. At least with the open book tests he is learning the format and the idiosyncrasies of multiple choice, etc.

I agree with Jackie - the proof is in the pudding. I put away all the books and research with my speech delayed children, one of whom was classified as mentally retarded by the school system at age four. We truly cannot predict potential in children. They often surprise us. Keep nurturing your flower; she is just beginning to bloom with all your special care. :)

Linda said...

Yay for Grace! How exciting for all of you!

Wild Homeschool Family said...

That's wonderful, Congratulations Grace!

Bonni said...

Yes! What Jackie said! Grace is such a lovely girl - inside and out. I feel very confident saying that and I don't even know her. That picture the other day of the two of you, Dorothy, just beautiful! I have a feeling that Grace will continue to surprise and delight a great many people over the years.

Keep up the good work, Mum!

Cynthia said...

YEA! How exciting. GOOD JOB.

Missus Wookie said...

Congratulations Grace! Whoo hooo!!!

We're thinking of getting Ewok to do this exam at some point too. Thanks for doing it first and getting such a great result.

Dorothy - I'm not going to pick on you but yeah what Jackie said. :hugs:

Romany said...

Thanks for the encouragement, friends!

DeEtta @ Courageous Joy said...

Congrats to Grace. Well done, Mom and Grace.