Monday, November 23, 2009

Life-Songs 6

Every time we put on a Life-Songs event we have some sort of disaster the week before. This time, our excellent lead guitarist came down with H1N1 on the morning of the concert. Jamie was driving round the country from town to town picking up bits of equipment when we got the phone call.

I couldn't get in touch with him, so called all the musicians we knew trying to find someone who could cope with being drafted in at the last minute to take over, but no luck. When Jamie eventually got home, we figured out a plan. He would take over lead guitar and we'd have to find someone else to play bass. We decided that people don't usually notice a less than perfect bass player, but they DO notice when the lead guitarist goes horribly wrong.

Only one problem with this. Jamie has not played lead guitar for a couple of decades. We rustled up a young bass player. Jamie had an hour to practice. Then off to the rehearsal before the concert. There's our bewildered looking new bass player over on the right, there. He did a fabulous job.

Jamie is concentrating hard here, using a borrowed guitar. But you know what? It all went very well. I think this band gets better and better with each concert. It was a really good night.

And some magazines arrived from my magazine swap! Pamela sent more than the agreed TWO, but I forgive her! {g} I'm enjoying getting through them. The recipes in A Taste of Home look wonderful!
This week holds some more Open Days at FE colleges (we started those last week), college applications for both kids, some intense English and Maths teaching, Jamie and I planning next week's 'Cafe Church' and I'm hoping to have the time and energy to drive to our old home ed group area to meet with some friends that I've not seen for months for lunch one day.
.
Evenings are frantic as we taxi the kids Hither and Thither (where is Thither, anyway?), desperately hoping that Father Christmas will bring us a sat nav (gps) this year. I am so tired of getting lost and having to do 3 point turns on busy major roads. In the dark. In the rain. {g}
.
And with that image, I will leave you this morning. Have a great week!

7 comments:

Renee said...

(where is Thither, anyway?).....unfortunately not near to home

Jen said...

Oh good! We didn't send the same magazines! Mine went out Saturday so hopefully you will have them soon.

Cynthia said...

How nice that your dh has so many varied talents! I know what a disaster it can be to not have a good lead guitarist.

The magazines look great. What a FUN idea for a swap.

GPS.. yea.. I don't go anywhere without mine (LOL)... away from home. I'm ok around home, but then we live in a small town >VBG>

Missus Wookie said...

Don't you have to do three point turns in small overgrown dark country lanes? We did yesterday... but my friend got me to where we needed to be.

Wookie LOVES his TomTom gps :)

DeEtta @ Courageous Joy said...

Great that Jamie is able to step in to the vacant lead slot....

I love the photo of the 3 point turns....just what I've been doing...and I'm wondering about a GPS unit myself....ours was stollen this summer and we've not replaced.

Jen said...

Dorothy, thank you for the magazine exchange. I don't know if I have said it before, but I am enjoying the magazines you sent and Alex and I have a list of things we want to try out. Btw, caster sugar is granulated sugar (white sugar)?

Romany said...

Jen, 'caster' refers to a slightly finer grain of sugar than granulated. It's just easier to dissolve, being not so coarse. But I've substituted grannulated for caster many times. I guess it looks prettier when a pie for eg is dusted with caster sugar rather than granulated.

It is not specifically white, you can get unrefined caster sugars too.