Sunday, November 01, 2009

Villages of Oxfordshire: Noke

I love the name, Noke. I pass the turning for Noke often, but have only just, a couple of weeks ago, taken the turning down a single track road to see it. The sign says: Noke Only, as if to warn visitors that there is nothing much there to see. On the contrary, it was a beautiful Oxfordshire village.
Views across the Otmoor Valley.

The old one-room school house, now converted into a very desirable dwelling. Note the school bell above the doorway.

The school probably started as a charity work of the church, as many schools here did, as it was next door to the churchyard,

and the church.
A slight bump, not really a hill. I do do miss the Chiltern Hills...
And a gratuitous picture of my boy, just because.


Since these pictures were taken golds and reds have overtaken the greens of mid autumn and fields have been ploughed.

4 comments:

Jodi said...

Looks like a beautiful village.

Kristine said...

Absolutely gorgeous buildings. I'm sure I've mentioned this half a dozen times before, but I loved reading James Herriott as a teenager. Seeing these buildings, these hills, brings the books to mind instantly. Thanks for sharing!

Romany said...

Kristine,

The Yorkshire Dales (Herriot country) are beautiful, but they have more hills than flat Oxfordshire. I miss hills! Did I say?{g}

DeEtta @ Courageous Joy said...

What a beautiful village.