Saturday, September 01, 2007

Lisa, from Homeschool Circus set us a Back to School Clean Up Challenge. I've been gradually going through various rooms in the house reorganising and cleaning all 'summer'. Well, when the weather is windy, rainy or overcast all summer and I couldn't get any serious hammock-time in for reading, I had to DO something! So, when Lisa set the challenge it fitted right in with what I'd planned to do anyway!

This challenge took a long time because I kept being interrupted by more urgent tasks, but I finally got there.

This is the dining room, which is also our main education activity area! The computer is in there too so it's also a kind of office.

I went though every single book, decided if it needed to be kept, arranged the shelves a little better, made some room for new books which I STILL HAVEN'T ORDERED YET and polished the shelving.

My desk area, believe me when I say this is really tidy. Notice the strange little gnome in the background. He's my good luck mascot.


DeEtta posted recently about an organising book which talked a lot about cat litter trays as useful storage. Well, funnily enough, when I read that book years ago I found some cat litter trays which looked rather nice and adopted that idea. These contain the kids workbooks and bits of paper which have no home anywhere else. 'It's in your tray' is a frequent retort around here.

The box in the corner is my 'to sell' pile of books which grows and grows until I can't contain the pile any more and then sell them through Preloved books.

Well Lisa, I know I forgot to post 'before' pictures, but this is really impressive, I can assure you.{g}

We're off to Devon for our annual Surfing holiday in a couple of hours and when we get back we start 'school' immediately. Grace will have her first day of college and Jack and Grace start new 'small groups' in church that evening. We have a new weekly schedule and another year nearer adulthood for them. They're nervous and excited, but we have a week of fun and sea and surf first (though probably no sun, going by this year's track record.) Debbie, I'll look out for that sand pail your daughter lost in the ocean off Maine. (Yellow, wasn't it?) See you in a week!

9 comments:

Lisa in Jax said...

Dorothy! You're kitchen/school area looks great! I love the litter pan idea, I may use it.LOL

Have a great vacation!

Debbie said...

Great job, Dorothy! I still have so much to do to get ready for school, but we are forging ahead any way, mess or no mess.

I'll have to look for some of those cat little trays. They look handy.

You guys have a great time at the shore! The pail was orange. The kids anticipate your recover of said pail.

DeEtta @ Courageous Joy said...

I need to organize my books - but I want to do it RIGHT this time. I want to put them all in a data base. LOL

I need a gnome like yours behind my computer. LOL

Bonni said...

Your set-up looks great! I am a little jealous of your giant shelves! Our dining room also doubles as a school table. Sometimes I wonder what it would be like if we had space to leave our work out. I like your idea of a book basket for sellable items you've finished with.

Hope you have a great holiday!

Linda said...

I'm impressed!

Cynthia said...

It looks GREAT, Dorothy! I think you should win a medal of some sort for accomplishing all of these challenges so quickly *AND* having time to continue to blog about it! Me... I'm so busy working on challenges, I've had not time to blog about them. I hope to one of these days.

berrypatch said...

Great job! I didn't even think of kitty litter pans. I have been using oversized dish pans. :-) I love your huge bookcase.

Jodi said...

Very well done with the cleaning!

Glad to hear that Grace had a good first day, yes I'm behind on emails and blogs but I did look through my SHS emails quickly and saw your post.

I think we lost a blue shovel and a green pail off the coast of NH last summer, maybe they will have had time to get to England by now. Did you happen to see them?

Jodi said...

I wonder if the litter pan idea would work for a family with 5 cats who keep 3 litter trays in use as it is?