It is a privilege and a pleasure, not to mention a continual source of bafflement, for us to watch Grace and Jack enjoying exerting themselves like this. Endlessly and with enthusiasm and endurance. They both spent several hours a day in the water last week.
When other kids have spent the summer plonked in front of some screen or another, ours have been out and about, running, playing tennis, swimming, climbing trees, or in Jack's case, a mountain or two.
We've always encouraged this. Occasionally, when it seemed like teenage ennui and lethargy was about to settle around them, we had to sternly remind them about character, persistence, health, strength etc.
I remember one September when they were on a rock climbing course and it rained hard all afternoon. Then a gale force wind started blowing. And then it hailed. They both looked down at the group of us mums, safely ensconced in our cars watching, with imploring faces. 'Please don't make us do this', they seemed to say.
I leaned out of the car window long enough to hurl some words of encouragement against the driving rain, 'Get up there, you two! It's character-forming!'
Inspiring words.
See, they thank me now.
Looking for the right wave...
And he's up! All that persistence pays off.
And all our parental encouragement, cajoling, bribery and threats are now paying enormous dividends. They love the outdoors! They adore adventures. They are lean and fit and strong. They are happy!
It's nice to know I've got something right as a parent!
Now where's that cheesecake?
6 comments:
I'm so glad to hear it! There might be hope for our kids yet! Dh is a self-proclaimed computer geek and you and I sound very similar. Although, it's cherry cheesecake for me. I'm wondering what on earth my kids could be thinking as we prepare for this Fall's activities: swimming, indoor soccer and hockey. Thanks for making me feel not so crazy!
I would never have guessed England until that last picture, maybe.
Which could well be because I've never BEEN to England. My people are from a bit further east. They polka. To an accordion.
That is so neat that your kids love the outdoors like they do. I was the same way growing up. I always wanted to be outside doing something but that was growing up in Indiana. Here is Florida it is so hot most of the time I have a hard time making them go outside for too long unless they are swimming. I wish our kids had cooler weather to growup in.
The surfing pictures are really good! I never seem to do that well with action shots.
Looks like a wonderful, character forming (LOL) holiday!
VERY funny post! And I got a kick out of the visual of you sticking your head out of your car in the rain, lol. Reminds me of the parents who drive slowly along the street as their kids trick or treat in the snow. :)
That's MY KIND OF FUN! Surfing is one thing on our must do someday list!
Post a Comment