Friday, December 26, 2008

Christmas Eve - 1st Night

Here are my beautiful children on Christmas Eve, oblivious of the Treize Desserts Task ahead of them. Our tradition, and one we've done since I first read about it in a Family Fun magazine in Canada when the kids were babies, is to give two presents on Christmas Eve: a new pair of pj's and a book. The new pj's means they'll look reasonably presentable for photos of them opening presents in the morning and the book gives them something to read in bed that night. No new pj's were needed this year, so I bought tee-shirts.
Then the Thirteen Desserts of Provençal Réveillon tradition.

I couldn't find some of the right constituents so I made up the number with a few other things. Stollen ( a German marzipan fruit bread) and chocolate eggs.

Dried fruits are important: crystallised ginger, stuffed dates, dried apricots and figs.

A marzipan chocolate log (thanks Lidl's!) with chewy nougat and hazlenut star cookies.

Chococate cake with Turkish Delight and Halva (a Greek concoction of sesame seeds and honey), choc covered fruit and nuts of various kinds.

It seemed like SUCH a good idea at the time. I first read about this at least 10 years ago and this year we actually did it. The idea is that everyone eats a little of each dessert at the same time.

I'm afraid that I was always behind. I couldn't even finish the first piece of halva! I guess I just don't have a sweet tooth.LOL!
Not to Self: Always invite plenty of other people for Les Treize Desserts next year. Yes, we will be doing it again, but only for a bit of a party! Want to come?

Joyeux Noël Provençal!

10 comments:

berrypatch said...

Yummy!!!! ;-)

Jen said...

Oh no! This post reminds me that I forgot to put out our Christmas Crackers! That's what comes of buying things way ahead and storing them away!

Kristine said...

Yes, I'll be happy to come. I have quite a sweet tooth!

Loved seeing these beautiful pics and sharing in your celebration!

Romany said...

Hey Jen, I always keep some crackers back for New Years' Eve. Maybe you could surprise your kids with them then?

Jodi said...

What a lot of yummy goodies!

I couldn't find Chistmas crackers this year and it felt like a void. We really must wear those silly hats for part of the day! I will plan ahead better next year!

Anonymous said...

This looks fantastic. I am always a bit bewildered by Christmas Eve and this would definitely make me feel better!!

Romany said...

Jodi, Remember I can always send you a package of the kits to make them up yourself! Just let me know!

Philippa, Give it a go next year!

Laura said...

What an amazing spread! It all looks so wonderful. I am with Kristine.... totally ready to come for next year! :)

Cynthia said...

I want to come! Those desserts look awesome. I didn't do a single bit of baking this year.

Stephanie said...

What a spread! I loved catching up on your blog. It looks like you really brought the year to a close on a fabulous note. Great strides, great family times, and a beautiful holiday.