Grace's college had a Christmas Review last week which they organised themselves. Grace sang a solo as well as being the Publicity Officer! Of course, as all the students have ASD, it was an interesting collection of presentations! Grace did a Maria Carey version of 'All I need for Christmas is you!' which was incredibly difficult, but she just pulled it off!
On Sunday, Jamie led the worship in the small church we've been visiting. Soon, they hope to outgrow the small chapel and have Sunday morning services in a secondary school hall, with quiet evening services in the chapel. It looks like Jamie is being asked to manage the transition between timid, keyboard-led hymn singing to a whole-hearted, modern worship-song style of worship. This could be a very tricky transition, but it's one the church want to make. Last week, I loved it that Jamie led a mix of songs and hymns and at the end of the service went straight from the bridge of God of Justice(2005) into O For A Thousand Tongues(1739). You think it wouldn't have worked, but it did, brilliantly. LOL!
Jack's last day of study for the term is today. The schools and colleges don't finish until Friday, but I've decided he needs to break now.
He had another Biology exam last week and his score (almost an A grade)was considerably improved on the one at half term, which was just a pass (C grade). He's now beginning to see the value of careful revision and note-taking! This is all new to him, so I'm pleased with his progress.
The art project finished yesterday. All those photos of ghostly guitars and amps on the grass have been turned into two final pieces.Tomorrow sees us all visiting with other home-ed friends for their end of year knees-up in a restaurant. There are about 30 of us booked for the meal. This will be the first time we've seen this group of friends since July. It will be great to catch up with them and see how the kids are doing this year.
And the rest of the week will be spent making some Christmas preparations, such as finding a tree and baking some cookies, as we have a group of friends over for a party on Saturday. On Sunday, Jamie and Grace are singing a duet at a carol service in another church.
6 comments:
Your comment regarding Jack's biology studies "He's now beginning to see the value of careful revision and note-taking!" made me smile--I remember when I first encountered this use of the word "revision"--in Europe--and how strange I thought it. Over here, we mostly use the term to mean "making a change to something" as in the revision of a book to correct errors. I don't know why it developed that way--we use review but not revise in a context like this one. I love encountering British words and usage in your blog.
That's interesting Paula. I'd never thought of the two meanings of revision here.
In this sense, we were doing what you know as revision yeaterday, in that, we went over his exam paper carefully, noting his errors and re-learning the gaps they highlighted.
Because I have so many American and Canadian readers, I am usually quite careful not to use idiomatic language which might confuse, but I do still write in a fairly English way. LOL!
I can't wait to see the final projects! :-) I've enjoyed seeing all the photos he's been taking.
What a blessing Jamie's mininstry is to this church. It's fun to hear how God is leading.
Sounds like you're settling in to the new church!
AWESOME about the new church, it sounds like it might be a good fit. :)
Post a Comment