I'm glad I bought these before the credit crunch and secreted them away!
Then they settled down to watch WALL-E.You could be forgiven for thinking they were aged 4 and 7 not 14 and 17. I wonder if such little things will still be making them happy at 24 and 27?I do hope so! LOL!
Then they settled down to watch WALL-E.You could be forgiven for thinking they were aged 4 and 7 not 14 and 17. I wonder if such little things will still be making them happy at 24 and 27?I do hope so! LOL!*
Meanwhile I was blowing the dust off my 24 year old recipe for White Christmas Nut Loaf, first cooked when we were living in Harrow, London, and taken around the world with us ever since.


7 comments:
I think I would still enjoy and afternoon of gingerbread house decorating...although right now I find more enjoyment in watching my kids decorate.
Happy Christmas!
Their houses turned out great! I attempted one for the first time this year. It was a dismal failure & ended up in the trash. Maybe we'll try again next year. We loved Wall-E!
My teens still enjoy animated movies. Last night we watched Polar Express
Your gingerbread houses are lovely.
G-bread houses are even great for the littler kids, although they fly through it in much less than an afternoon, lol.
I think we've been doing them for seven years, and this year, my dh suggested that the pieces be decorated while laying flat on the table, and THEN assembling everything. It was kind of a DUH moment for me; it worked well!
Grace's and Jack's houses are lovely!
Lisa, were you doing your own baking or using a kit? We had Gingerbread House Making Parties every Christmas from when Grace was 5 until 12. I baked all the pieces myself and we had a dozen kids over. Those parties were very popular! I've posted the party plan and recipes several times at SHS over the years.
The key is to have VERY stiff icing for the 'cement' and to wait 20 minutes before attempting to decorate after assembling. (Cocktail sticks can help keep things in place if your gingerbread is soft enough to allow them through.) You did lots of wonderful baking this year though, so don't be discouraged by one failure!
Kristine, we tried decorating first one year but found the decorations hindered the assembly, so we went back to the other way round. You don't get slippage if the icing is right.
I was just surprised that G and J still wanted to do this activity at their age! LOL! I'm also aware that I shouldn't really be calling them kids any more. I just don't know what to call them now! {g}
Renee, we LOVE Polar Express too!
I love seeing your photo of the recipe you have carried with you for years. What a treasure! My youngest got Wall-E for Christmas this year - it is a family favorite. :)
I am afraid that we have never made gingerbread houses. Every year I think 'this will be the year' and then every year I drop the ball and don't get it done. Their houses look so lovely.
Post a Comment