Thursday, March 05, 2009

Ooops!

Guess who forgot one of their anniversaries today?


Both of us forgot our 20th wedding anniversary. Never mind, we're going to celebrate on Saturday. {g}


Why 'one of our anniversaries'. Well, we have 3. We met and fell in love (and started to live together) 7 years earlier. But it was only 12 years ago that we became Christians, so you could say we've only been in a christian marriage for that amount of time.


Actually, the one which seems most significant today is the 27 years that we've been faithful to each other. We married during Lent, which the RC priest, who officiated, was not happy about, but Jamie was leaving the country for a year on a world tour with the band the next week.
That's probably why he's looking so happy in this photo!

The priest who married us was in the local paper the week before, for having cancelled one couple's wedding because the bride was 20 minutes late to the church. We got there early, just in case. Too early. We had to drive around the block a couple of times in our vintage Rolls Royce until it was time to go in.
Marriage has been good for both of us. We laugh a LOT like this.{g} I think people who laugh a lot live longer. They definitely have happier marriages.

17 comments:

Romany said...

Update. I just checked our marriage certificate and our wedding anniversary wasn't today anyway. It was YESTERDAY!!!!! I'm gonna email Jamie at work and tell him we missed it even more badly than we thought.

{sigh!} We're just hopeless. {g}

Anonymous said...

ROTFL!!!!!! You guys are a hoot!!! Have a great anniversary.....uummm.......this week........or, ummmm......sometime! :o) You have us beat by five years.....or is that twelve? Or perhaps we have you beat by three??? (A most confusing comment on an equally confusing post! LOL!)

Alexandra said...

LOL, we missed our 16th and couldn't remember the exact date either. I'm still not sure of the exact date because the certificate had the wrong date on it. We got married during Lent as well - end of February. My husband was going on a military TDY, so we went to the Justice of the Peace, and later got married in the church.

Happy belated anniversary!

BTW, I'm so curious what band your husband was in. You probably don't want to say, but I've been trying to guess. ;)

Missus Wookie said...

Happy Anniversary - do you want me to put it on my calendar and remind you? I do that for another friend :lol:

Our 20th is in November and I agree people who laugh together have happier marriages :)

berrypatch said...

LOL - Oh that's just too funny! I suppose at this point it doesn't matter right? ;-) I love this photo of the two of you.

Jackie said...

We have often forgotten ours ... we reckon it's ok as long as we BOTH do! But when we remember, we don't forget the date, as it was the 13th, and we only got in at 'short' notice (ie less than about two years) with our village church since no one wanted to be married on the 13th, and we weren't superstitious and couldn't care less what the date was!

Renee said...

I think it's funny that you can't remember the day you said "I do" but the important thing is that 27 yrs later you're still together and loving each other.

I actually found out the name of Jamie's band with lots of googling but it wasn't anything that I listened do in the 80s and even now I can't remember what I found - and even if I did, I wouldn't post it since I know that Dorothy likes to keep that private.

Serenata said...

Congratulations Dorothy & Jamie - even if you did forget! LOL

Jackie said...

Renee said
"I actually found out the name of Jamie's band with lots of googling but it wasn't anything that I listened do in the 80s and even now I can't remember what I found - and even if I did, I wouldn't post it since I know that Dorothy likes to keep that private."

Sadly I am old enough to remember, but I wouldn't post it because I like to pretend I am much younger than that :-P

Romany said...

Jackie said, 'Sadly I am old enough to remember, but I wouldn't post it because I like to pretend I am much younger than that :-P '

Yeah, me too.

Huh? What were we talking about?

Have I had my medication yet?

Jackie said...

Half past three.
Do you ever forget important dates, Dorothy?

The Nowlin Family said...

Oh Happy Day to you both, Dorothy! Latest news from my supervisor is that I may be back in jul-aug to viva. See you then!!!

Wild Homeschool Family said...

Happy Anniversary! I don't suppose it matters at all if you both forget!

Romany said...

Hey Scott,

How come it has taken so long for you to come back and do the viva?

July/August will be a great time to be in Oxfordshire!

Cynthia said...

Congrats! Leave it to you to have 3 anniversary dates to celebrate (LOL)! What a hoot.

Pamela said...

Happy Belated Anniversary! What a great picture of the two of you.

Alexandra said...

About my curiosity(nosiness) - I think I figured it out...with the clues you've left along the way. ;) It was something I used to listen to...my tastes in music have changed, but if I'm inflicted with 80's music I prefer it. 'nuff said. :)