Monday, November 16, 2009

'He's Only Fifteen?'

We are always being asked this about Jack. On his way to his Maths exam in Oxford last week, the bus driver insisted on ID to prove he could have a child's ticket. We don't normally carry ID in this country, though most of us have a photo ID if we have driving licences. You can't drive here until 17 though. So ID can be a problem when you are only 15. Fortunately, he had his passport with him to show the exams officer and so was able to prove his age to the bus-driver.{g}

He has a lot going on in his life right now. EVERY SINGLE evening has some sort of commitment. Actually, some have more than one, which necessitates a quick transition from one activity to another. Band Practice, Athletics Training, Lads' Group, Youth Group, Rehearsals. And none of this is anything we've mandated. They are all things which have arisen more or less naturally, from his interests and abilities. We felt he was At Capacity.

But, this past few weeks, two more commitments have come his way, which we've had to think hard about, pray and make decisions about. A group of local kids, not associated with any church, because the churches round here don't 'do' youth, have got together and now put on their own youth services on Sunday evenings. This has come about totally spontaneously without leading from adults. It's been going for a few weeks and Jack has been asked to lead worship once a fortnight at these. Grace is singing there regularly too.

What I LOVE about this is how counter-cultural and counter-intuitive it all is. They all met at the Costa Coffee evening which is facilitated by a team of youth workers in our town. They decided that the 'missional community' this team had started what too nebulous for them. They decided they wanted a regular worship event to which they could invite their non-Christian friends to which was uncompromisingly Christian.

They decided they did not want to work with adults who would tell them what to do. Brimming over with confidence, they approached a town centre church and asked to use their building on a Sunday evening. This church, to my amazement, said yes, which was very enlightened of them. They provide an adult to lurk in the background, and another youth leader from a different church hangs out that night too, to keep an eye out, but is generally redundant. The kids book their own preachers to give talks, but apart from that, they organise everything. As this develops, I wouldn't be at all surprised if they do their own talks soon. They've already begun a Bible study on a Weds evening.

The context of this is that in this town there is no single church which has more than 2-3 teens who come regularly. Most ministers/church leaders in the area have no clue how to reach or retain teens and don't seem that bothered about it. This whole groundswell movement of Christian teenagers to form their own church and reach their own friends, in the absence of the churches' ability to tackle this effectively, is absolutely gobsmacking to me. The meetings regularly attract about 40-50 kids and at least half of them do not come from Christian families.

Has anyone come across this phenomenon before?

The other major commitment Jack has taken on is as a new member of a rather good local band. It's a kind of Jazz band, so we are pretty astonished, as his interest in music resides mainly in bands with words like 'death', 'plague' or 'blood' in the title, ie NOT jazz bands. Anyway, this band has a couple of gigs coming up, playing for the parade of returning soldiers from Afghanistan to our garrison town and some Mayors' event.

The problem is that he's only one person and I don't know how he is to fit all this into his life AND continue to study for his exams AND help around the house AND have a reasonable relationship with his family. Thank goodness he isn't going to school! {g} I suspect that, strong though he is, committed as he is, something will have to go. His Dad and I are both serious overachiever-type personalities, though we have the wisdom to reign ourselves in a little better these days. {g}

So, do we protect him by curtailing his activities for him? Or do we let him find out for himself how far the elastic will stretch before snapping?

Parenting, eh? Never easy.

8 comments:

Pamela said...

That is really amazing! We are blessed here to have an awesome youth group at our church, with many youth who attend and regularly bring friends, but I know that in England, this is not often the case. I seem to remember you posted something quite sometime ago about a Christian walk in your community and someone commented, "Aren't there a lot of them?" (meaning Christians) as if we are an oddity. Praise God for using the youth to reach out to others.

Unknown said...

It is awesome that a child of 15 has this much drive and passion for what he believes and wants to accomplish. I think it is wonderful that these teens want to come together and do something in their community to bring more teens to Christ.
Blessings
Diane

Paula said...

That is really neat about the youth taking the initiative to create their own group--I think it is really easy to underestimate the commitment and passion of teenagers.

Regarding Jack's commitments, I haven't parented a teenager so my experience is only from my own teenage years--I definitely overscheduled myself, but I had to learn on my own what I could and couldn't do, and I think it is worth a lot to young people to have freedom to follow their passions. As long as those passions are not destructive of course, and that would include being destructive of his academic work. Jack is definitely mature enough to understand that he does need to meet his academic/family commitments; hopefully he will prioritize himself, with the understanding that if he doesn't you will help him do so...It sounds like he has a lot on his plate, but how blessed you are that it is all good things!

berrypatch said...

I find it amazing about the teen church. So cool! What a blessing to all the teens in the area!

Alexandra said...

The Christian churches in my area are teen activity oriented, and there are a good many Christian youth bands. I hadn't realized that this was not popular in your area. I thought maybe it was the competition that was difficult, not that it just wasn't done. You really are going where no person has gone before. Prayers for success!

I remember my father constantly telling me as a teen not to burn the candle at both ends. I think that is burnt into my memory! ;)

Cynthia said...

The teen movement sounds very exciting. We've found with both of our older kids (20 and 16) that they have to pretty much learn for themselves what they're able to handle and not handle and the interests/activities tend to wane as other things they are more passionate about begin to take more time.....

Romany said...

Hi guys.

There are 6 full-time youth workers in our town employed either by individual churches or as part of a mission team but they are not bearing much fruit.

Because when they make initial contact (which they do well) they do not seem to know how to progress things. There is no lively, youth orientated church in the area to move them on into.

For eg. you can't take the average 15 year old off the street and put them in a church where people sing 'Open the eyes of my heart, lord' DEAD slow with 35 choruses and expect that they'll think, 'Wow, This is so modern and cool! I think I'll come every Sunday'

No one locally has twigged that to be able to disciple young people you have to understand their culture and meet them where they are.

I'm NOT talking about kids who grew up in Christian families. They may well put up with the disjoint between church and modern life, out of loyalty or affection. Until they hit 13 or something and they plead to be left in bed on Sunday morning.

Churches need to figure this out quickly. We are losing 1,000's of kids every week from churches. I'm not at all surprised when I see what is on offer to them there.

The Bookworm said...

Very, very cool about the teen group :).

As for the cramming things in, I had the same concerns about R when she started school and they turned out to be unfounded. She still crams in more than I would have thought possible, but because she is motivated and organised she somehow manages it. Current commitments are 1 1/2 to 2 hours dance three evenings a week, 2 1/2 hours gym one evening, 2 hours helping at gym on Saturday mornings, Church on Sunday, full time school, GCSE coursework and homework, babysitting (for us and others), and a social life. Don't know how she does it, but she does!