Friday, December 04, 2009

Moving On From Forest Farm

I'm rather sad that we are moving on from science as it has entailed a weekly visit to Forest Farm Montessori School in the Oxfordshire countryside outside the city of Oxford.

Jack enjoyed the social aspects of being taught Biology, Physics and Chemistry in a group of other home-educated teens and the school were warmly welcoming of the home-ed kids and parents. As it's also an examination centre for Cambridge exam board, Jack was able to sit his science exams there in that familiar and freindly environment.

But with Science finished (barring having to resit the Physics exams) and just English and Maths still to take, he needs to concentrate on getting good marks for those, so we've said goodbye to Forest Farm.

What I will miss (am missing already) is the drive through that part of the countryside and the way the seasonal changes are so intense at the farm. It's easy to see how things change there throughout the year. I'm not normally in contact with the landscape as much as I have been this past year. It's been very pleasant indeed, almost exciting, to look forward to the changes week by week. I want to replace that experience somehow, but not sure how because there's nothing like it nearby.

2 comments:

Alexandra said...

Nature does wonders for your mood. I was watching a public broadcasting station show on the brain earlier this month, and they were saying that studies on persons healing from diseases revealed faster healing if they could view a park or other natural setting. Apparently it releases endorphins.

Cynthia said...

Things like that are definitely more noticeable in the country.. one of the things I don't mind is the scenery on our long drive home from town... I don't like the time it takes, but it is pretty.

I LOVE your new blog background!