With our Canadian experience, Jamie and I fall somewhere between the two. We'll try to drive, but make sure the boot of the car has all the necessities we'd need if we got stuck, including a snow shovel, a sleeping bag and blankets, candles, matches, snack bars, water and cat litter. In case you think I'm totally bonkers, I'll explain that the last is for pouring under the wheels if they are spinning and we can't get out of a spot.
But when I ventured out one day last week to get supplies, the roads had not been gritted, even the main roads, so I was facing such a hazardous ice/snow/slush combo that I turned back after 5 minutes' driving. No one else was on the road except a white van man and I saw him slide across into the opposite lane!
Luckily, I had enough food to last us another day. When I finally made it to a supermarket, it was as busy as Christmas EVE. Tempers were frayed, people were not queuing very politely, you could hardly move. Because I'd forgotten breakfast and was taking Beechams Flu Plus remedy I started having frequent palpitations and felt nauseous and dizzy whilst in the (10 people) queue for the check-out. Later, I realised I was having a bad reaction to the phenylephrine. It took me a few days to figure out what was wrong though. It's not been a good week for me.
Our dedicated postman, whose name is not Pat, managed to get through, bless is heart!
I have to drive to Oxford today with the kids. The roads don't look too bad this morning, but who knows? There's a winter storm arriving this afternoon and another heavy snow fall due overnight. I love it. As long as I don't have to go anywhere!
Our dedicated postman, whose name is not Pat, managed to get through, bless is heart!
I have to drive to Oxford today with the kids. The roads don't look too bad this morning, but who knows? There's a winter storm arriving this afternoon and another heavy snow fall due overnight. I love it. As long as I don't have to go anywhere!
8 comments:
Wow! Look at all that snow. Love the pictures, Dorothy. Snuggle in and enjoy. Maybe :)
Ah my goodness, what an adventure! I'd like the snow too, if I didn't have to go anywhere. My children have never seen a single snowflake! We often talk about what it would be like. : )
The pics are lovely; glad you were able to get groceries. What you described is a lot like the US South; we get snow so rarely that folks are clueless about what to do. Thankfully dh and I grew up in New England so we will be smart enough to stay off the roads if it should ever snow for real (not because we can't drive but we don't want to get hit by those that have never driven in the snow).
BTW, I ALWAYS had kitty litter in my trunk when I lived in CT and when winter was over the cat used it :)
So pretty! I love the red postal vehicle against the snow. Postman Pat was one of my son's favorite shows.
WOW! That is a LOT of snow. I love to watch snow play - from my recliner by the window with a mug of hot chocolate.... LOL
Jared is dreaming of moving somewhere with snow next....I hope he gets his wish. LOL
Pretty pictures! I think my favorite is the postal truck with the white snow.
Beautiful pictures! Glad to hear that you were able to get out for groceries in between all this snow.
That's a lot of snow!
Post a Comment