Saturday, May 30, 2009

Bedtime Story

I just know how nosy my loyal blog readers are. (Maybe that's just me?) You want to take a look inside my bedroom, don't you? Well tough. I'm only going to show you a tiny bit of it because the rest is a horrible mess.

Here's our bed. We bought it in IKEA in Ontario about 18 years ago. It's 6 foot wide and that wasn't wide enough when we had toddlers sharing it with us. But it's okay now. We can't get mattresses to fit, so we have two 3' mattresses which is just fine.

Usually, we have a duvet and cover on top, not sheet and blankets, but at the moment it's hot on this side of the house, so we've gone down to a top sheet and thin quilt. The sheets were a wedding present and the quilt even older so it's about 25 years old. The pillow slips came from a 'vintage' shop back when I could afford to buy vintage. They are probably from the 50's and still going strong. I have a radio on my side of the bed, which predates Jamie's arrival in my bedroom. I can't fall asleep without Radio 4 or the World Service.On my bedside table is a photo of the kids when they were little. I think they will always be this age in my imagination. On Jamie's side is a photo taken by a friend at our wedding. This friend is now a television director. And that's not dandruff on Jamie. It's confetti! His hair was longer than mine.
Above the bed is this print of a painting by Picasso. We bought it when Grace was a tiny like that to remember what it was like to have a nursing baby. I love the pose, the mother leaning in to watch her baby's face, the colours, everything about it. Picasso went through a phase of drawing and painting circus performers backstage with their children. This is from that period in his life. I expect that baby is now long dead. It was a good reminder to me to cherish every moment with my babies. And I always did.

And there you have it. A sneaky peek into the (clean) bit of my bedroom.
I'm daring you to do the same!

4 comments:

Alexandra said...

That picture of the children is so precious! It isn't fair is it...how time goes by so quickly.

Thanks for the tour...you are much braver than me. In fact, I think I'll go tidy up my room..Oh, the shame. LOL.

I get so hot in the summer that I just use a sheet, and we have air conditioning. I run on the hot side - Northern European stock doesn't bide well in the hot southern latitudes!

Jan said...

Thank you for that - I love being nosey about other people. :) Might even post my own one day.

Liz in OK said...

Ummm, I think I'm not even moved in here yet (bad me). And I look at every room & think I need to do SOMETHING to make it look like ours, to look lived in. How about I just blog that topic? Plus, even though I did find my camera, I do not know where it is (it seems to have feet).

Cynthia said...

Fun post. I just might take you up on the challenge next week when I have a few minutes.