Monday, May 04, 2009

Passionate Wholehearted Worship


C.S. Lewis wrote, “I disliked very much their hymns, which I considered to be fifth-rate poems set to sixth-rate music. But as I went on, I saw the great merit of it. I came up against different people of quite different outlooks and education, and then gradually my conceit just began peeling off. I realized that the hymns (which were just sixth-rate music) were never-the-less being sung with devotion and benefit by an old saint in elastic-side boots in the opposite pew, and then you realize that you aren’t fit to clean those boots. It gets you out of your solitary conceit. It is not for me to lay down laws, as I am only a layman, and I don’t know much.” Answers to Questions on Christianity
.
"Devotion and benefit" Perhaps that echoes John 4:24,"in spirit and in truth"? And that, I've come to believe, means whole-hearted and authentic. Our family is committed to encouraging whole-hearted and authentic worship in ourselves and our fellow believers. We want them to sing what they believe and believe what they sing. When we lead worship we pray that people will come to a fresh understanding of the words they are singing and declare them to the Lord as though for the first time.
.
We became Christians in the Anglican church. It was a conservative, evangelical church with teaching of the highest standards, in the tradition of John Stott. Some of our clergy had trained at All Souls, Langham Place. I thank God for leading us to that church and giving us so many years of excellent Bible teaching and a firm foundation to our faith.
.
The music was also traditional. They had a choir and an apparently rather good organ, a Director of Music, a classical ensemble of musicians who were all professionals and every single person in that music team was a passionate, sincere Christian. But the worship was 'all terribly British' and not a toe was tapped, or a hand raised from clutching the hymn book, even when we sang newer songs which had what we didn't- rhythm. Jamie and I felt that something was missing, though didn't know what it was.
.
I noticed that when I held friends' babies or toddlers during the singing that I could do what no one else did and that was MOVE! Baby-jiggling some of us called it. As long as we had a little one in our arms or on our hips, me and my friends felt liberated to move to the rhythm of the music and we loved it! So did babies we jiggled.{g}
.
We moved to a new area and left our beloved Anglican church behind. Since then, we've experienced the full range of church worship behaviour. There's the rigidly upright, besuited gentlemen who refused to sing at all, lest in doing so, they betray that shameful thing, emotion. And the other end of the range, what seems to be a female thing, of casting yourself onto the floor at the slightest touch of another's hand to weep or laugh uncontrollably. (Different churches! LOL)
.
As worship leaders, naturally, we've read many, many books on the subject, from books which hate musical worship; which fear it, because the authors also fear emotion in themselves and others, all the way through to books which seem to imply that if your congregation aren't in some sort of trance by the time you've sung the 100th chorus 'I could sing of your love forever' and ready to go down like nine-pins then 'the spirit isn't there' or you've 'lost your annointing'.
.
I think that people have three categories when it comes to faith. The first is the Essentials of their faith, the truth found clearly in the Bible, and shared by all Christians. For eg, Jesus was the Son of God. The second department is that of strong Beliefs based on Biblical principles, which may differ widely among Christians, such as infant or adult baptism. And the third is that of Practices based on personal feelings.
.
Music and how we respond to God through music at church (what, for the purposes of this post, I'm referring to as Worship) falls under the Practices category. The Bible does not indicate whether baby-jiggling is acceptable to God{g}, however, there are many glimpses in the Old Testament of how the Israelites worshipped (dancing seems to have been common) and also Revelation gives us some clues about current and future worship in Heaven.
.
So, the style in which we choose to worship God is a result of a personal choice. The only thing the Bible tells us is that it must be 'in spirit and in truth'.
Jamie and I think we've got enough experience now to detect a lack of sincerity in worship of all kinds of churches, with all sorts of worship music and practices. I think we've got some sort of built-in Authenticity Detector. {vbg}
.
Yesterday, we took a Sunday away from our new church, where we have at times, a quite difficult remit of modernising the worship and updating the repertoire, to be refreshed and encouraged elsewhere. We went into a church in Oxford where we'd never been before. They were having a 'cafe church' morning and we entered a hall where tables were laid for breakfast and the band were finishing rehearsals. Mmmm good food and good music? It was looking promising!
.
Breakfast was great. We sat at a table for 8 people where 5 of us were totally new to the church. Several people came and sat with us for a while and chatted, including the church leaders. After 30 minutes of this there was a period of 30 minutes or so of uninterrupted worship. I was interested to see what their practices were at this church. I was completely struck by the lack of phoniness. They were relaxed and earnest at the same time. Each sang passionately. Each chose their own preferred stance(s). Some knelt, some bowed, some stretched up their arms, making the Y shape preferred by the Israelites, some raised their hands a little, some kept their arms at their sides, but bowed their heads. We had the sense that all were free to express themselves in ways which were personal to them. Nothing unexpected or embarrassing happened. There was no forcing or manipulating of emotions by the band, who were very competant. The songs were all biblical.
.
It was, in short, worship 'in spirit and in truth'. Whole-hearted and authentic. For us, it was like a soothing balm. We'd love to help create such an atmosphere of liberated sincerity at our own church.

16 comments:

Jackie said...

So, Dorothy, this week appears to be brought to us by the words 'authentic' and 'wholehearted' -
care to join me in taking a shot at 'intentional' while you're at it?! {g}

ROFLOL

jackie

Jackie said...

By the way, I once heard these distinctions explained, with definitions pretty much as yours, as Doctrine, Dogma and Discipline.

Just thought I 'd mention that!

Romany said...

Jackie, I don't understand your first comment. Why are you laughing? I'm not sure 'intentional' applies in this case. I know there's something I'm not getting.

The three D's eh? I'd not heard of that before, but it sounds like the makings of a great Baptist 3-Point Sermon!{g} We're very familiar with those!

Jackie said...

Sorry! Seen your comment over on my blog so now I know you know what I was rambling on about. Just made me smile. Outburst of similar words!

J
x

The Bookworm said...

I've been pondering music in worship lately. I've been involved in Church music of various types within the Catholic Church for the last twenty years, and have always seen it as an important part of worship - I think it was St. Augustine who said "he who sings, prays twice", or something along those lines.

Now I have lost my singing voice, I suspect permanently. It first disappeared totally for a few months while I was pregnant with Cherub. It mostly came back after she was born, though never 100%, and now thanks to a combination of asthma, steroid inhalers and repeated bad throats, it just gets worse and worse. I think the vocal cords must have swollen, because I simply can't force any air through when I try to sing - at best it is just the higher register, at other times I can't manage even an out of tune squeak. There is quite literally nothing there.

So now I am having to try to get to grips with the place of music in the Church for those who can't sing. If singing means praying twice ... or if worship is singing, being unable to sing means being unable to pray / worship. Any congregational singing now excludes me from that aspect of worship. The more singing there is, the more excluded I feel.

This is just rambling really. I'm not saying that music in worship isn't a good thing ... but I'm increasingly aware that too much music can be a stumbling block for those who can't sing (or feel that they can't). No answers. Not even sure what the question is!

Jen said...

Great post Dorothy. We've seen a wide range of worship styles too. Finding a good balance is sometimes hard. Sound like the church you visited was refreshing.

Cynthia said...

We, too, have been part of each end of the worship style spectrum. Glad you were able to get away for a time of refreshing.

Alexandra said...

I can't say I'm focused on the music at church, but I do know what you mean about finding authenticity in expression(practice). He knows us to the core - we are real only in His reflection...before we donned all the baggage. ;)

I think it's wonderful that you are plugging away at giving glory to His name with your gifts. The more authentic, the closer we are to God.


BTW, I know you mentioned that you had some insomnia in the past. I just discovered a wonderful new calming tea - lemon balm. Have you tried it? I had an upset tummy tonight(too much diet soda with caffeine) and it helped that as well.

Romany said...

Alexandra,

I'll try the lemon balm. I have some growing in the garden! Thanks.

Romany said...

Kathryn,

I'm so sorry about your voice. Have you spoken to an ENT specialist? If you tell them that it means a lot to you, they might find a way of rescuing your voice.

I'm facing this myself. After being a bit of a 'star' singer in my youth, my voice is much less reliable, now in my 50's. I am facing redundancy in the next 5 years, I think. And unlike you, I don't play any instruments. So, it is something I've been thinking a lot about too.

The subject deserves its own post. I will respond more fully when I have time.

In the meantime, I will pray for your squeak to return to its former richness.

Linda said...

Great post, Dorothy. A lot for me to think about and I am in the same boat with you and Kathryn. It is life changing and oftentimes heartbreaking.

The Bookworm said...

I have wondered about going to the doctor and pushing past the "oh, it's just the steroids ... try gargling" stage. I guess I should. Not that my voice is particularly worth rescuing - I can sing in tune, but singing isn't my forte. I just enjoy doing it, and hadn't realised how often I used to sing. And then, as you point out, age doesn't do a voice any favours :(.

DeEtta @ Courageous Joy said...

Great post, Dorothy. I love worship you experienced this weekend. I long to see more of it.

Alexandra said...

"An authentic life is the most personal form of worship. Everyday life has become my prayer."
- Sarah Ban Breathnach

I ran across this quote today while purging some old bookmarks and thought you's like it. :)

Kristine said...

Dorothy! You are hardly "in [your] 50s," aren't you just barely 50? Or 51?

Even though (at 45) I am technically in my mid 40s, I can barely choke that one out, believe me.

Romany said...

Kristine, I'm 52 next month. I'm way past Early, Mid or Late anything, I'm just 'in'. {vbg}

Sometimes, I can't believe I'm that old. Then I remember all the stuff I did in the 1970's. And then it makes sense! LOL!

Sadly, the voice isn't the only thing on the way out. Chronic Advancing Decreptitude.