Wednesday, June 03, 2009

New Home Group

For years, Jamie and I have not been able to be part of small groups at church because of our unique family situation and our attitude to parenting as discipleship. What I mean is, how can you disciple your teenagers when you keep leaving them alone at home while you go out to Bible study groups etc We were severely admonished for this at our last church and told it was making an idol of our family.
Turning that page.
But we recently got together with another family with teenagers and have started an 'inter-generational home group'. At last. We've been trying to do this for years. We meet one weekday evening a month to sing and pray and eat pudding.And one Saturday dinner time for a meal, bible study and fellowship. We have had a really good time and there are a couple of other families who may join us after exams are over.

Jack likes it when we meet at the R family's house for home group because they have a pool. LOL!
It's here tonight and I've been busy clearing up the house and making banana muffins. As you do.
Took Grace to the GP's and she wants loads of blood from her. {g} Grace will oblige after missing breakie one day. Good job she doesn't faint at needles! I've been a bit tearful today thinking about what could have happened if she'd been alone when she's passed out. We never leave her alone, so I guess I don't need to worry about that really.

7 comments:

Liz in OK said...

I never would think of England as a pool-place. Oklahoma? Goodness, yes! But England (in my mind) doesn't seem like a place you'd go swimming. It is just always so weird to catch a true glimpse of something you're totally clueless about!

Romany said...

I guess the main reason people don't tend to have pools here is the lack of space. Homes and gardens are very small compared to the US. But this family have a very large garden so the small pool fits in just fine.{g}

Swimming is a popular sport/passtime here. Lots of small towns have their own outdoor pools, as well as indoor ones in public sports facilities.

But our olympic athletes were very disadvantaged by the fact that we only have a very few olympic sized pools to train in. So, not too many swimming medals, usually! The good thing about the Olympics coming to London is that more facilities are being built!

Alexandra said...

Oh, a friend with a pool is good! ;) We were weird ones when I lived in Germany(1970's) - the house that was rented for us came with a pool. It was the only one in the neighborhood and it had no filter system, just a drain like a big bath tub. It was fun though - could only use it in July and August though. It was too cold any other time.

We haven't the room where we live and we need it! It's very hot here...about the same latitude as Portugal. We've got too many trees which is good for shade - not for pools. I've put up a kiddy pool for the children. They love it...I can get in it too if I fold myself up. ha,ha

Cynthia said...

How nice that you have a home group. We have belonged to 3 home groups while at this church, but none of them were a good fit even though they were multi-generational and kids were welcome to attend. We were still the odd man out because we had an infant or toddler who always wanted/needed attention leaving one or the other of us (dh or I) to miss out on the meeting. And, because were the only ones homeschooling and a few other things we were different, it made it difficult to get support. So... now we have no small group and haven't for a few years now. Not looking for one either (LOL).

Renee said...

I think the home group sounds like a great idea; wish our church had something like that.
We lived next door to a family in Germany (outside Heidelberg) that had an inground pool; I think it's because they owned a pool store.

Wild Homeschool Family said...

Sounds like a good home group for you at last.

Praying for you and Grace still that you'll get answers for this issue.

DeEtta @ Courageous Joy said...

What a thrill to hear that God has granted this dream. Looks like a lot of fun.

BTW - my emails to you are returning...have been praying for grace since you emailed....verizon and us are on the outs. LOL