Monday, June 25, 2007

Cheesy Olive Bread - My Way!

Now then, there is a certain cheesy olive bread recipe doing the blogging rounds which originates (possibly) here

However, inveterate culinary tinkerer that I am, I've experimented with it so much, that this one I offer here is my very own. It's lower in fat than PDub's and higher in fibre. And for someone (moi) who really needs to lose weight, this is good news. Though, obviously, not *as* good news as if I stayed away from cheesy olive bread altogether.

Cheesy Olive Bread

Ingredients

1/2 cup whole black olives, rinsed and finely chopped
1/2 cup pimiento-stuffed olives, rinsed and finely chopped
3 spring onions, finely chopped
1 orange, red or yellow pepper, finely chopped
1 cup grated mozzarella, gruyere, cheddar or harvarti cheese
(or any combination of the above)
1/4 cup cup mayonnaise
1/4 cup buttermilk
Lots of freshly ground pepper
1 medium length loaf, multi-grain French bread, split lengthways


Method


1.Mix the mayo and the buttermilk and cheeses. Add freshly ground pepper. Add everything else. Mix thoroughly.


2.Spread mixture evenly over the cut sides of the loaf.


3.Bake at 160*F degrees for 20-25 minutes, or until thoroughly melted and starting to turn light brown and bubbly.

Cut into diagonal slices and serve with salad, or soup. It also looks good mixed on a platter along with bruschetta and garlic bread chunks as an appetizer for lots of people. You can make the cheese mixture up to two days ahead of time and store in the fridge.

I'd have shown a picture but the family ate it all up before I had a chance....

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

I believe in cheese, but not in olives. What am I to do? I'm thinking, skip the cup of olives & just use 2 cups of cheese -- what will that do to my fat content, do you think?

Or, Plan B, I could make it with olives & then set up the camera & provide a ridiculous YouTube video of my children falling out all over the floor screaming "you ruined it!" "I HATE that stuff!" (without, of course, actually being able to identify "that stuff").

This could be an entertaining day.

Anonymous said...

Oh, don't tell them it's olives, obviously. Do what I do and tell them it's 'just herbs,' but you have to say it in a very dismissive way, with a slight sneer. That approach has been working for for me for 16 years now.

Or you could drop the olives in favour of chopped peppers and celery.

And why not?

Salar37_Shushan said...

Add mushrooms if you want to get the maximum effect, Liz. ;-)

Little kids must be the ultimate conservatives! You can just about judge how much they've grown since last time by their willingness to put up with the 'weird' additions to old favorites (if I eat the carrots, Mom, do I haveta eat the onions?) lol

Dorothy, your olive bread sounds yummy! May well have to make some soon - maybe with some feta ^_^

Renee said...

Dorothy,
I've tried that with onions. Youngest dd "Mom, are there onions in this?" Mom's reply - there is seasoning.

Kristine said...

Sounds great, Dorothy!

Ever since eating the "original" recipe, I've been craving olives. Tonight, instead of using kalamata olives in salad, I used garlic stuffed green olives. I saved half the jar to eat by myself later. Surely I'll follow it up with chocolate, lol.

Anonymous said...

Kristine,

Me too! What IS it about olives that does that to us? Maybe they have some much-needed vitamin or something! {g}

Emily said...

I LOVE olives . . this sounds soooo good!