Friday, June 08, 2007

Kayak River Trip

At the end of the kayak course I organised for the kids, there was the great excitement of a day's river trip. The last one they went on was along a part of the Thames which is busy with a lot of motor craft, so I was glad that this one was along the River Colne and the Grand Union Canal, which are somewhat quieter. Getting ready.


The skirts are the spray decks that cover the opening of the kayak when they sit down.


Coming up the canal, where some of the mums were waiting with cameras.

Priya decided not to do the river trip. I think her mum was right, that she was a little young at ten. So she stayed with us. The canal boat behind her is someone's home. There are a lot of canal boat dwellers in the UK.

The enamel jugs on the top of the boat are typical 'canal ware', painted with a colourful floral pattern.

A bit of 'portage' takes them to the first weir. Pete, the instructor explains what they are to do.Jack is the first to try it out. Paddling against the current, he must move his kayak from one side to the other.

Grace refused to budge at first, shaking her head and refusing to try it. But she is a strong paddler and quite experienced enough to cope with this so I shouted at her (over the roar of the water) that she MUST attempt it!



I'm bossy like that.



Soon, 5 other mums were cheering her on and she made it eventually, leaving the weir with a broad grin on her face.

Paddling off down the river.

At this point, the parents drove off to a riverside pub for lunch. Some of the Dads met us for lunch.


Grace takes up the rear.

And later, capsizes. Here she is getting back into the kayak. Persistence is a great quality and she has it in spades. When she was little, I thought it stubbornness. Now, I realise it was a God-given quality she'd need later in her life.

Some slalom poles for kayakers to play in the 'white water' coming down from the old mill race. Jack's pretty excited to try that!

Here they are, milling about. Ha!

Jack's first courageous attempt bought him a capsize. Pete rescues him. The second attempt was a capsize too, but he did well in the end. The photos doesn't really show how much the water was churning.
A good time was had by all. And I enjoyed the walks, the pub lunch and the company.


5 comments:

Debbie said...

What a great experience for the kids! Great job organizing this, Dorothy.

Way to go, Grace on getting in there and trying the difficult paddling.

I've done quite a bit of paddling in the two-person steerable sea kayaks, but do not care for those little ones that seem to tip so easily!

Cynthia said...

Dorothy,
We LOVE kayaking and that just looks like a TON OF FUN! I bet everyone is thrilled that you organized something like this for them to enjoy. And, congrats to Grace for giving it a try!

Kristine said...

You do some of the most wikked things! This looks like a wonderful time, and I know my favorite part would have been while I was on land, watching the others in the water. :)

Romany said...

Debbie,

Sea kayaking is what Jack wants to try next! I've done some canoeing on the sea, but not in a kayak. Yes, they are highly manoeverable, but do have a tendency to flip over.

Dorothy

Jodi said...

That looks like so much fun (except for the capsizing bits) I agree you do so many wikkid things!