
One of the things I've been meaning to do for ages is to look up which foods are actually in season, month by month. Now I do have a rough idea. My strawberries are ripe in May, tomatoes in late August etc. And I have memories from childhood of certain fruits and vegies only being available at particular times of year. But I'm trying to get more organised about this for the following reasons.
1. In season means - more likely to be cheap.
2. In season means - more likely to be local and therefore fresh.
3. In season means - it tastes much better! At perfect state of ripeness.
4. I really want to cut down on the number of miles my food has travelled, for all kinds of global economic/trade/pollution reasons.
So, to remind myself and to help anyone reading in the UK, here's the rundown of fruits and vegetables in season this month.
Pears
Carrots
Turnips
Leeks
Squash
Cabbage
Parsnips
Shallots
Celeriac
4 comments:
What a great idea, Dorothy! After reading your blog, I'm inspired to do the same thing. I wonder if it matters that not much grows in the frozen ground under the few inches of snow we currently have. Oh well, if I look it up now, I'll be prepared for Spring.
Hi Bonni,
I know it's hard when the ground is frozen for several months of the year to find anything fresh and local and ripe! But you are compensated by the delectable taste of corn and peaches which taste better in Ontario in the summer than ANYWHERE else in the world! {g}
Pears are not actually being plucked from the trees now in the UK, obviously. It's just they are still considered in season because, if they have been stored right, they will still be tasting in peak condition.
Hope that helps.
Thanks Dorothy! what a great idea, that is so helpfull!
Thanks for the list!
Post a Comment