I was writing this out as a comment for Kristine, but it got so long that I thought I might as well post it here. LOL! In answering her, perhaps I'll satisfy even more curiosity!
Hi Kristine, what did you mean by the cheese seemed $$$$? Did you mean expensive? Mmm, well it is very good mature English cheddar cheese, so I'd expect to pay that. You can buy very cheap mild cheddar, but I don't like it. {LOL!} I would only buy, English, Irish or Canadian cheddar. I use it a lot for cooking, so I need it to be flavourful. I don't normally buy that much in a week. It just happened that I was out and the Wensleydale was on special offer. I use that in recipes which call for feta cheese, which is much more expensive.
The peppers. Well, prices of fresh produce definitely fluctuate according to the seasons here! Those were very cheap and in season. In February though, I spent 92p on a single green pepper, which was obviously out of season and had been flown in from Africa or somewhere. Ridiculous. I shouldn't have bought it really.{g}
We do eat cereal for breakfast. Our staple is Weetabix and I had lots of that already in the house. But it gets boring every day so hence the other 2 boxes of cereal I bought this week. Breakfast is usually cereal and milk, fruit or fruit juice and toast or bagels.
Lunch is a DIY affair, usually a sandwich, often leftovers from dinner the night before and in the winter, I'll make a soup for lunch about once a week. Sometimes the kids will cook an egg or two in some way for lunch.
Apart from the milk, and I will need to get eggs and possibly more apples this week, yes it was a week's worth of items.
Next week, I will have run out of different things, but the amount I spend on each of the categories will be remarkably similar. So, I'll estimate needing about £20-25 for fruit and veg, £10-15 on frozen stuff which often includes some fish, £5-10 on fresh which might include a little meat if on offer, and £10-15 on store cupboard stuff. Sometimes, at the end of the month, I only have a few pounds left, but that's not a problem. I spend it on fresh organic milk and fruit and the rest will be freezer/store cupboard meals.
Ten years ago, when Jamie was an impoverished student for a few years, I used to spend £40 a week on the 4 of us and that was for all my other household items too. Food prices were higher then, it seems to me, and it was a real struggle to eat healthily.
We don't buy any sweets or high fat, high salt snacks, unless perhaps tortilla chips to go with my black bean soup! That is not to say that G and J might not buy chocolate or crisps when they are out and about with their own money, though! {vbg}
The groceries, and our budget reflects our lifestyle. If I was at work full time, the bill would go way up because I would need to buy more convenience products. If I was home more and not so busy being out and about during term-time, I'd be able to bake more and do even more 'from scratch' cooking than I do. For example, I'm sure I could have made all the tortillas which we ate last night, like Lisa does, but that would have added maybe 30 mins to the meal prep which I didn't have yesterday. So I paid for the tortillas! There is a price for going out a lot, like I do! {vbg} But we have reconciled ourselves to that price, for the moment.
Luckily, I have the skills to revert to more economical cooking, should the situation change, like Jamie losing his job or something. I have compassion for those poorest in our society who do not have those skills.
Saturday, August 09, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
5 comments:
Skills - you are so right that this is what it comes down to! I think that especially in the times that I think we are headed with our economy on this side of the pond we need to focus on teaching our kids (or learning ourselves!) the skills needed to revert to more economical cooking like you said.
Thanks for sharing this! I love this type of post. :)
Interesting posts, Dorothy! Thanks for sharing. I hear you about paying for a few conveniences. We were paying a LOT for the convenience of eating out more often. But, that not being healthy, I'm trying to find other ways to save time (like hiring out the house work) so I can spend more time cooking healthier meals.
I thought your prices were pretty good. My sister shops at Tesco as well. I saw that cheese you bought and thought YUM! I love English cheese.
Dorothy, this is so interesting! (I'm sure that's the same comment I made to your earlier post too!)
Yes, it seemed expensive for cheese. But I am a cheap cheese person, we usually buy bags of grocery-store brand shredded cheese, 2 cups for less than $2.
Although my sil/bil own a cheese shop at the other end of the country ...they occasionally will send us fancy cheeses that we eat with crackers.
Even feta cheese is pretty cheap, $2.50? for a small (4 oz?) carton--but that's cheap feta too, if I spent more money, I'd probably notice the taste difference.
Maybe we just eat a lot more junk here, I can't imagine that food lasting a whole week here! It makes me wonder if I should post everything we eat for a few days--or maybe it would be too embarrassing! I guess I have a bit of an obsession with food, and that's why I enjoy hearing about someone else's in much detail!
Thanks for sharing. I find this interesting! It seems fairly similar to what I find around here....
Post a Comment