Devizes is a town in Wiltshire, but that wasn't where we were headed. I did my teaching Practice there almost 30 years ago, though.
Hated every moment of it.
Wild Horses would have to drag me back there.
Nope, we were headed for Stonehenge! Jamie and I went down early to the West Country to pick up the kids from their Christian Camp. We did the tourist thing. What's that on the horizon?
We didn't have to pay for the car park or for entry to the Henge because we'd taken out membership of English Heritage to go to the Festival of History last year. Yippee! Love saving money.
A disconsolate-looking Demonstrating Druid greeted us.
And quite a lot of Australians in Camper vans.
Shame the sun didn't come out much.
I can't help thinking about the Rob Reiner film, This Is Spinal Tap. (Compulsory viewing for any rock band's tour bus.) The set was supposed to be 18 feet high but ended up being 18 inches.
Look at this windswept crumbling monument.
And the Stones.
Nope, we were headed for Stonehenge! Jamie and I went down early to the West Country to pick up the kids from their Christian Camp. We did the tourist thing. What's that on the horizon?
We didn't have to pay for the car park or for entry to the Henge because we'd taken out membership of English Heritage to go to the Festival of History last year. Yippee! Love saving money.
A disconsolate-looking Demonstrating Druid greeted us.
And quite a lot of Australians in Camper vans.
Shame the sun didn't come out much.
I can't help thinking about the Rob Reiner film, This Is Spinal Tap. (Compulsory viewing for any rock band's tour bus.) The set was supposed to be 18 feet high but ended up being 18 inches.
Look at this windswept crumbling monument.
And the Stones.See? Only 18 inches.
It's quite hard to mess up taking photos of Stonehenge, but I managed it.
Barrows (neolithic burial chambers) in the foreground and distance.
I hope you've enjoyed our tour. A selection of tasteful souvenirs are available in the gift store on your way out.
It's quite hard to mess up taking photos of Stonehenge, but I managed it.
Barrows (neolithic burial chambers) in the foreground and distance.
I hope you've enjoyed our tour. A selection of tasteful souvenirs are available in the gift store on your way out.I didn't actually take you through the whole Stonehenge experience or I would have described the toilets, which were the most horrible I've ever experienced.
And I've been to France.
9 comments:
I would LOVE to visit Stonehenge! The picture of Jamie "holding" the stones was great!
But not as bad as the squatty potties in Greece surely? :)
We prefer Old Sarum and then Avebury (where the toilets are only in restaurants but that means you have to have a cup of tea....). Glad you got to go together tho' and hope the kids had a good time.
Thanks for the tour; we never did get to Stonehenge :( Toilets in France... yuck. I was grateful to get back to Germany and pay for a clean potty.
I will forgive you for being SO rude about where I live (truth to tell just outside Devizes!) but what I do think is odd is last weekend we went up to dh's parents and passed your door, just about, and this weekend you passed ours - maybe we should one of us stop for a cuppa one day !!!!!
jackie
Eeek Jackie, I thought you were going to say that you lived in the toilets at the Stonehenge Car Park!
Ooops, I'd forgtotten you lived nr Devizes. Yes, the next time you are up this way, do let us know, and drop in.
Mrs W, Ya know I kind of got the logic of the squatty potties in Greece. {vbg}
Glad you didn't take pictures of the offending toilets. LOL
Very nice "experience Stonehenge" post.
I have to laugh at myself, how easily grossed out I am by American bathrooms. I have a friend living in Italy, and her public bathroom experiences have scarred me for life.
Neat pics. Fascinating.
LOL about the bathrooms and I've also been to France! EEK.
nice jokes!! i was learning about stonehenge in my hoomschool history and my mom told me about your blog so i dicided to look at it! Nice pictures girlfriend LOL!!! view my blog it halloween! Mabey some day i could go there! Have a nice day!!!
Post a Comment