Monday, August 18, 2008
Into the West Country
Last weekend, we dropped the kids off at a Christian Camp for 14-18 year olds in the West Country. They took over a big house in the country. The leaders were mainly students from churches in Oxford, but also others. Jack's dorm leader was recently ordained as a minister. I love the commitment of these camp leaders to the youth at camp. They give up a precious week of their holidays from university, or work, in order to minister to, and have fun with, these baby or proto-Christian young men and women.
As usual, I got distracted by the gardens. This is the sort of thing I love about England: old brick walls, iron gates, gravel paths and beautiful flower beds.
Jack chats with his leaders.
There was a bit of a Beijing Olympics theme, with each member being part of a national 'team'! What a wonderful weekend of sports they missed on tv, though! EIGHT gold medals for Team GB in 2 days!
Ooops, got distracted again there!
Grace in the brown jacket getting to know her group.
There are about 2 dozen outdoor activities they can sign up for, this week. I had to give permission for each individually. The only one I said no to was quad biking. Jack couldn't wait to try the zorb ball!
Just as the parents left. The groups gather for a fun skit/drama which sets the pace for the week of dynamic Bible-teaching. They'll have a service every morning, small group studies, personal one to one mentoring, as well as lots of trips out for exciting activities!
Jamie and I felt somewhat bereft, driving off through the golden Somerset countryside without them.
We drove past Stonehenge, realised that neither of us had been up close for about 20 years, so decided we'd stop for a proper visit on our way back through to pick the kids up next weekend.
Shame about the barbed wire in the picture! But the shot was taken from a speeding car! LOL!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
12 comments:
Quad biking? what is quad biking? Looks like the kids will have lots of fun.... Grace is almost finished with one day.... praying she is able to enjoy herself
What a great time for them! You and Jamie need to have some fun this week as well. My girls just got back from a week at a church leadership camp and it was a fantastic experience!
Looks like an amazing time could be had, but I am thankful I'm not in that ball! Enjoy Stonehenge - but the barbed wire is quite appropriate somehow.
Now I get it! ;-) Don't expect to get TOO close to the stone's - they have a pathway & ropes keeping everyone out - at least they did back in 1999. You can stroll around the edge & enjoy it from a distance. ;-) I'm sure you kids had a blast. It sure sounds like fun!
Nice pics of the old garden & stonehenge. Sounds like your young'uns had a great time! :)
Dorothy, have you heard anything at all from the kids? I've been thinking of you and Grace all week and praying. What have you been doing with yourself? Gosh, I can not even begin to imagine having no kids at home. I know that day will come again, but by then I'll be so feeble I might not care! LOL
Hope the kiddos have a fantastic time.
LOVE the "real" pic of Stonehenge! I'm not sure how it's really any different than the dozens I've seen in print elsewhere, but hey, someone I "know" actually took this! LOL
So cool!
Um, is there a PERSON inside that zorb ball thing???
Interesting! The camp sounds great. Thanks for the stonehenge pic
So glad to hear that they've settled in and that you and Jamie are enjoying some couple time.
I totally want one of those zorb balls! That looks so fun!
I'm woefully behind time here as I bet you are picking the kids up this weekend...but the camp looks wonderful - and the gardens are GREAT! I'm enjoying catching up with folks.
BTW - I have lots of "speeding car" photos too. ::snort::
I too am curious as to what "quad biking" is. The strange ball thing looks like fun, but with my motion sick tendencies, I'd probably pass.
Quad biking :
http://www.quadnation.co.uk/
I'm happy with caving and rock climbing etc (both of which they did) but not this. Too many accidents have happened with quad bikes. Serious ones where people get brain damage or become quadriplegic.
Post a Comment