Tuesday, August 26, 2008

Old Sarum

Old Sarum, which is near Stonehenge and Avebury Stone Circle, is a huge hill fort built 500 BC, but inhabited since 3000 BC. The walls you can see are from 1000 years ago. Jamie dates from circa early 1960's. The decrepit relic below is from somewhat earlier and is obviously in need of serious renovation.
All I can say is that Jamie made me do that.

Those medieval stonemasons knew their stuff. The stone is flint, by the way.

The cathedral city of Salisbury as seen from the ramparts. Jamie's mother's family came from this town.

The cathedral is 750 years old this year! And see that spire? It is so tall and heavy that the massive stone pillars inside are buckling under its weight. Should be good to stand for another 750 years or so, though.

Once, when I was teaching a bunch of architecture students English, I escorted them on a field trip to this cathedral and a special guided trip up the narrow circular staircase of the spire. I got about 1/4 of the way up when I had a panic attack and had to go down. They laughed at me all the way home to Bath. Not one of my finest moments.

That's more like it! More walls! Aren't they gorgeous?

7 comments:

Unknown said...

Great photos! We don't have things that old in our baby nation. How wonderful to have such a sense of history. Dorothy, when I come to England, will you be my tour guide?

Romany said...

Ginger, I even have a green sofa (donated by missionaries) you are welcome to sleep on while you are here.{g}

Renee said...

Will you rent out floor space so we can all come to for the Olympics in 2012?

Janette said...

Is this part of Hadirian's wall?

Romany said...

Hi Janette,

Old Sarum is in the South of England and Hadrian's Wall is in the North. The walls here are medieval and H's Wall are Roman.

Kristine said...

LOL, at least you're not crumbling down. Yet.

Cynthia said...

I've enjoyed reading all the posts and looking at all the pics while catching up with your blog tonight! Thanks for taking the time to post such wonderful entries.