Once, I was doing my grocery shopping in Tesco's when the call to Remember came. On the announcement over the public address system, trolleys stopped moving, people bowed their heads and stood still. We resembled the blasted trees in this picture, dotted around the silent supermarket. Each one alone in our thoughts.
I always find this act immensely moving, no matter where I am. I usually end up full of tears. I suppose I was primed to sympathy by the fact that I had to study the First World War Poets for English when I was sixteen. Ever since then I feel a particular pain on thinking about the Great War.One of the poets we did NOT study and someone I had not heard of until this week, when I listened to a biography on BBC Radio 4, was Isaac Rosenberg. He was a working class man, unlike most of the other better-recalled poets of that era, and from a family of Jewish immigrants from Russia who settled in the East End of London. His letters home were almost unbearable to listen to. He died in April 1918, after two years in the trenches of France.
Two years.

He wrote poetry while he was there. He was, it seems, a very talented poet as well as an artist.
Break of Day in the Trenches
The darkness crumbles away
It is the same old druid Time as ever,
Only a live thing leaps my hand,
A queer sardonic rat,
As I pull the parapet's poppy
To stick behind my ear.
Droll rat, they would shoot you if they knew
Your cosmopolitan sympathies,
Now you have touched this English hand
You will do the same to a German
Soon, no doubt, if it be your pleasure
To cross the sleeping green between.
It seems you inwardly grin as you pass
Strong eyes, fine limbs, haughty athletes,
Less chanced than you for life,
Bonds to the whims of murder,
Sprawled in the bowels of the earth,
The torn fields of France.
What do you see in our eyes
At the shrieking iron and flame
Hurled through still heavens?
What quaver -what heart aghast?
Poppies whose roots are in men's veins
Drop, and are ever dropping;
But mine in my ear is safe,
Just a little white with the dust.
- Isaac Rosenberg
8 comments:
Such a futile war. I remember reading Vera Brittain's books when I was a similar age and being caught up in it all ... thinking about digging them out for the next time round the history cycle when H will be 15 (she's doing WW1 now, and is definitely too young for them, so it would have to be next time round) .. and wondering if I'll still empathise so with VB, or if, as a christian, I'll find her to be way off the mark?
Yes, I remember reading her when I was about 25. No idea how I'd respond to her now, but I do think sometimes we need to be reminded of the sheer magnitude of the disaster of WW1, and the ubiquity of the sense of loss. And that is often very effective through a personal narrative. I guess that's why I felt for poor Isaac.
And for Britain the country, I don't think we quite appreciate how deep an impact WW1 had on diminishing Christan faith here.
Dorothy,
Your comment on the impact of war on Christian faith struck me. A few years ago I read a book by someone from my church who was in Europe trying to help pick up the pieces after WWII, and he commented that the depravations of war would likely have a negative impact on faith and morals for generations to come. Having spent a number of years in France and Austria, I have seen the empty secularism that has overtaken so much of Europe.
I agree, Paula. Our pastor's wife (at our home church) told me that her entire family was run out of Austria after the war because of her faith. Their village to this day is anti-Christian. Very sad.
Great article, Dorothy! Very nice to meet you!!! :^)
Paula and Rebecca,
Yes, both World Wars, the atrocties which occurred in them and the massive amount of death for families in Europe to cope with (not the deprivations, actually) were, I believe, reasons for many people to doubt the existence of a loving saviour. I hope that my own faith would have survived such circumstances, but unless we are tested in the same way, none of us can possibly know.
But there is another point to make about Europe. Though fewer people attend church here, than in, say, the US, those who do are usually authentic Believers. Because it's not the cultural norm, as it is in many North American communities, it takes courage to be a Christian here. (My 14 year old son tells me it's 'Social Suicide'.LOL!) So, I wonder, if maybe, we have MORE real believers here than in other more church-attending countries.
THat's not a bad position to be starting from, is it: small churches full of strong Believers, living for Christ despite the social suicide? I have hope for Christianity in Europe.
Dorothy!!!!!!!! How are you? This is your long lost friend LOL :-) I had some extra time today so I am taking time to post to my dear friends! I have had a great time catching up on your blog today! Thank you so much for the sweet comments you leave on my blog! I feel bad for not being able to respond but my computer time has been virtually cut down to nothing :-)
Blessings,
Emily
And yet look at Poland. An entire nation fought bravely against communism with their faith. They wouldn't be denied their savior. I have hope for Europe as well.
Thanks for the great discussion, Dorothy. A lot to ponder.
Post a Comment