Tuesday, November 11, 2008

Going to the Gym

Our local gym has just been beautifully refurbished and has brand spanking new machines. We somehow managed to wangle free inductions and 7 day free passes and have gone every day together. Here are our feedback results.

Grace: loves it, feels really fit and healthy, but always asks for chips on the way back as we pass a fish and chip shop. Okay, I broke down once and got some. We had chip butties for lunch that day. {g} For my posh or American readers (or even my Posh American readers) a chip butty is a sandwich made from white bread, with fries inside.{g} Don't knock it until you've tried it!

Jack: loves it and wants to keep going every day. It will eat into his studying time too much, though. They have youth sessions he can go to on his own and he can accompany me too. He already does quite a bit of sport and has a good level of fitness and muscle definition. He could easily get addicted and end up spending at lot of time there, but hey, there are worse things teenage boys could be doing with their spare time!

Jamie: wants to work on his tiny, teenie bit of fat round his waist. {rolling my eyes} He's enjoying it and has managed not to hurt his back. The one that had him in hospital on morphine a couple of years ago. So, that's good.

Moi: 1st day, I hurt my Naughty Hip after approximately 43.8 seconds on the cross trainer. (And I'd warmed up properly and everything!) But it's okay because I think I'd burned off .13 of a calorie by the time I had to stop. Nothing daunted, I persevered, with the encouragement of my family. 6th day, I had to take ibuprofren to go to sleep because every joint in my body was sore, even my jaw. Actually, not really my jaw. I was just exaggerating for effect. I tend to do that when my joints hurt. After one week, I can announce that I've put on a pound in weight and have developed an enormous appetite.{sigh!} I'm hoping this effect is temporary.

That is the end of the Gym Update.

There will be further updates if I ever manage to get fit.

7 comments:

carrie said...

ok, I totally need a chip butty now!

sounds yummy.

p.s. about your comment: you saw a lot of comments on that one post because it's part of a weekly meme called Wordless Wednesday. Only on that day do I get lots of comments on that one post. I just didn't want you to misunderstand. It's a fun meme! wordlesswednesday.com

berrypatch said...

Love fish & chips & even had some when we were in England eons ago. So SO yummy. Good luck with the gym thing - I feel your pain - honestly I do.

Alexandra said...

I've been using my treadmill at home. That's about all my old fat body can take. LOL.

A family gym membership is wonderful...we'll probably do this when the children are older. They'll need P.E. credits, so we'll probably do this through the YMCA.

Anonymous said...

You might be able to hear my laughter from across the Atlantic! On second thought, I sure hope you cannot see my belly fat jiggle with these giggles.

I adore your posts, Dorothy!

Serenata said...

LOL, thats what happened to me when I started exercising - wanted to eat all the time and put on weight! Have been 'thinking' about trying out our new local gym, but not quite managed to step over the threshold yet.

Cynthia said...

LOL.. yep.. that would be me. I know that muscle weighs more than fat and you might gain a few pounds before losing, but STILL it's just not right!

Jodi said...

ROFLOL, you're a riot. Next time skip the gym and head straight to the chip shop!