Thursday, April 23, 2009

18 Years Old! Grace Is An Adult!

Grace had a pretty good 18th Birthday! It coincided with her day off from college, which worked out well.

The day before, all her college friends and tutors had made a big fuss of her and given her a surprise party at the end of the day, with cupcakes they'd made and decorations and presents etc. I love that unit. They are very thoughtful there.

The morning of her birthday, she came down to breakfast and found these gifts.
Present giving and receiving can be a little stressful for all of us with Grace, but it went as well as expected.


The things she asked for, she was very happy with.

Some gifts confused her.

The 'Key of the Door'. It's a little tradition here.

Ah, the DSI was the main present she asked for. Now she has something to do on her long taxi journeys to college every day.

It all had to be understood and worked out and that took time.


Later, the three of us went out for lunch. It was a perfect, sunny day! Jack just wars the hat when he can't be bothered to make his mohican stand up!

Me and my adult daughter!
After lunch, we dropped round to the dr's surgery (office) to use the BMI machine. Grace was perfect, as usual. Jack was 'overweight' by one pound, but he's so muscular, we decided to ignore that! {g} I'm not telling my result.
In the afternoon, THREE friends dropped by, individually and unexpectedly, which threw Grace somewhat, but she recovered well! So many pictures taken.

And quite a few costume changes! LOL! And when Jamie got home, it was off to Pizza Express for our traditional 2-for-1 celebration meal! Jamie was happy to let us know we had saved 27 quid with our vouchers.


Shame about the flash!
She ordered a glass of wine with dinner, which surprised us. Jamie and I did not. We've tried to model responsible drinking with the kids. One glass of wine with our Saturday evening meal at home. But also that, just because we CAN drink, we don't always do that.


Then home for cake! The silver cross below was also one of her presents!

By the end of the evening, she seemed happy and content. She'd received quite a few text messages and emails wishing her a happy birthday too. I think people do genuinely like her, despite the challenges she has socially because of her autism.
.
She got a card from the Chief Executive of the Electoral Registration Unit reminding her of her responsibility to vote in the next elections. We'll have to start teaching her about politics, I suppose!
.
.
This Big Birthday came and went. I remembered her birth, a calm, planned Cesarean section and then the absolute joy of holding our own longed-for little one in my arms.

19 comments:

Missus Wookie said...

Happy Birthday Grace!

Of course people like her Dorothy, although I fully understand and empathize that parental worry.

Missus Wookie said...

Happy Birthday Grace!

Dorothy - of course people like her, I do too. But I fully empathize with that parental worry.

The Bookworm said...

Congratulations, Grace! And Mum. And Dad. :).

Jackie said...

Happy Birthday, Grace!
Lovely cake, Dorothy, did you make it?
I spend half my life troubling my poor long suffering husband with 'Do you think people actually *like* H?'

Deedee said...

Happy Birthday to Grace! Sounds like she had a great day and coped with it all wonderfully!

Cynthia said...

Happy B-Day! Sounds like it was wonderful....

Linda said...

Happy Birthday, Grace! Cracking up about Jack and the hat! One of my boys couldn't care less how he looks (he's the consummate nerd, too) and the other is the king of fashion. :) 18 is the legal drinking age there? It is 21 here, I think in every state. I remember that it changed in Illinois where I grew up from 18 to 21 right before I turned 18. It mattered to me then; we don't drink at all now. :) The cake looks fabulous as well!

berrypatch said...

Happy birthday! It looks like Grace had a fabulous day.

Serenata said...

Happy Birthday Grace. She looks beautiful. What a lovely day. Not long and I'll have an 18 year old as well!

Alexandra said...

Happy birthday to grace. How very special to have that first glass of wine out at a restaurant! Wine in W.Europe is so much more of a taste experience. The wine really enhances the food. I'll never forget the taste of wine we had in Paris with our meals, and it was inexpensive table wine...still superior to anything I have had in the states(or at least that I could afford), and not tasting of alcohol.

Renee said...

Happy birthday Grace!! you are a beautiful young woman

Romany said...

Jackie, no I don't make it. I can do rough rustic things like carrot cake and tea bread, but posh birthday cakes are way out of my league!

Linda, 18 is the final legal hurdle in the UK for pretty much everything.

Jen said...

Happy Birthday Grace!

Diann said...

It looks like Grace had a lovely birthday! Happy Birthday, Grace!

DeEtta @ Courageous Joy said...

Happy belated birthday wishes to Grace. The cake is lovely. The photos all showed up for me and are great.

Interesting list to read...some items we do at 21 here...some are allowed at 16 or 17 here.....intersting.

Heather said...

Such a special post, Dorothy! I especially admire the last photograph, where the candles illuminate Grace's lovely face and her new cross pendant.

Romany said...

Thanks for the best wishes for Grace, everyone!

Wild Homeschool Family said...

I like the birthday key, I've not seen that idea here. All the pictures show up for me. Happy Birthday Grace!

Kristine said...

Happy 18th birthday, Grace! And Dorothy too!