
Later, we walked to the market square to buy some fish and chips for dinner. We brought them home and ate them out of the wrapper!
Saturday evening we were at another family's home for dinner. They have 3 teens and after dinner Grcae and Jack went off with them to play basketball while the parents chatted. This family are victims of the church 'explosion' we were part of last year. They are some of the 1/3 of the membership who left but have not yet found suitable home church. I think they really can't get past the idea that you should go to church in your own home town. I think also that they are hoping that the leadership will change and a new pastor may be called soon and they will be able to return to the old church. My own feeling is that they need to commit somewhere else, but I know how hard that is. The repercussions of the problems at that church have been far-reaching and long-lasting..
I have no photos of that evening!
.
On Easter Morning, we were leading worship so we didn't do the Easter chocloate thing until later in the day. The kids asked us to hide it (rolling my eyes) so we did. Off they go to find it.

Isn't he the picture of cuteness?
He kept Jamie entertained for a while!
On Monday we met Windy at the gate of the USAF base and, once signed in, we went to her house. She has 5 beautiful children! Here's a couple of them with Grace, enjoying the latest constuction game.
Isn't he the picture of cuteness?
He kept Jamie entertained for a while!It was so warm and sunny that we hung out outside for a while, trying to keep track of the children playing on various bikes and scooters. And met one of Jamie's self-proclaimed 'super-fans'. His band were always way more popular in the US and Canada than here, so thankfully, we don't have to deal with situation very often any more.{g}
But once in a while it's quite fun!{g} And we didn't mind at all! Jamie signed his 1989 tour tee-shirt. Yes this guy had kept it for 20 years and it was now, at last, signed by his hero.
In return, he let Jack ride on his California low-rider! Which Jack thought was very cool indeed!
While we were there, the clock struck 5.00 and the two national anthems (UK and USA) played over a base-wide broadcast system. It is the custom that anyone out in public during this time should stop what they are doing, stand and (if American) place their hands on their hearts respectfully until the anthems are over. All the kids playing in the street stopped playing and did so. It was very impressive to see how people respected this, even very young children.
But once in a while it's quite fun!{g} And we didn't mind at all! Jamie signed his 1989 tour tee-shirt. Yes this guy had kept it for 20 years and it was now, at last, signed by his hero.
In return, he let Jack ride on his California low-rider! Which Jack thought was very cool indeed!
While we were there, the clock struck 5.00 and the two national anthems (UK and USA) played over a base-wide broadcast system. It is the custom that anyone out in public during this time should stop what they are doing, stand and (if American) place their hands on their hearts respectfully until the anthems are over. All the kids playing in the street stopped playing and did so. It was very impressive to see how people respected this, even very young children..
Later, Jack remembered that he had left his roller blades at the skate park. 'Oh,' I thought, 'That'll be the end of those, then.' But Windy said, 'No, they'll still be there. It's like living in a lovely little 1950's bubble here.' And they were right where he'd left them!
.
Jamie and I were quite sad returning to our ex-RAF housing estate. We know that's how it would have been here when we were children. Were we feeling nostalgia, home-sickness or envy? The respect, the sense of community among the neighbours, the safety of the neighbourhood. I wonder if it exists anywhere outside enclosed military bases any more?

11 comments:
What a lovley weekend and the RAF Base sounds just a perfect little community - as you say how things should be and how they once were.
When we lived in Garmisch, we rarely locked our doors. All bikes were left in outside racks without locks, etc.
Now that we are back in the "real world" we do lock our doors but I must say I feel safe in our neighborhood. We know a fair number of families and folks watch out for each other.
What a fun week! Thanks for the peek into an American military base, from the view of someone who is not an American. We have several military friends and have been on several bases throughout the years. I guess it's not as much of a phenomena to us, though, living in a pretty rural part of FL.
Great pictures, and it looks as if Jamie really made that guys day!
We live close enough to an AFB to hear the National Anthem at 5:00 p.m. everyday. It's nice really...I don't even mind the jets overhead. I remind myself that it is the sound of freedom.
Alexandra, this is a non-flying base so you don't get flight noise, which is a shame really!
I grew up on RAF bomber command bases to the sound of the V bombers taking off and landing on the runway quite close to our house! Victor, Valiant and Vulcan aircraft were not the quietest!{g}
Later, we lived under the Heathrow flightpath and heard Concorde burst the sound barrier every day. I kind of miss that. We only have gliders overhead now! {g}
I think we all get nostalgic when we catch a glimpse of the way things could be, if only...
It sounds like you are blessed with a number of good family friends close by.
I think there are many pockets of that type of community atomosphere in and around our area. We live in the country and so we don't have any neighbors, but the ones we do have watch out for one another... borrow things from each other, leave doors open, etc... someone once borrowed our car for a WEEK... we figured it would eventually be returned (LOL) and it was... they borrower just forgot to tell us he was borrowing it.. Now that being said, we're certainly not immune from outsiders driving along our road with the intent to cause trouble as once we did have a vehicle stolen....
What a great amount of socialization you provided your isolated homeschool kids this week. ::snort::
I've never experienced the community that is on a military base anywhere else...BUT I do know there is a neighborhood in our town that seems to be much the same....it's 98% military...but they have the same on base feel.
SO....now we've seen Windy's kids!!!! We get to meet Windy ::sing song chant:: In the photo with your dh and the baby - is that Windy with the camera?
BTW - I didn't change the comment section on my blog so hopefully whatever you experienced with the word whatever will go away again.
DeEtta, Yes, that was W in the picture, though this is a better pic:
http://romany-youdidwhat.blogspot.com/2008/01/out-to-lunch.html
(Sorry Windy)
I love it that I get to introduce you two.LOL!
It's so fun to think that your friend might pop up in De'Etta's blog one day. Looks like a fun and entertaining day all around between anthems, fans, funny bikes and friends etc.
So there might be a blog post out there somewhere that says, 'My dh met his hero rock star on Easter, can you believe it?!'
That would be weird, knowing that your dh could be 'recognized' at any time...
I miss the plane noise that we heard living close to the Air Force Academy. We are in a practice flight run for Navy jets, which come through occasionally. I LOVE the thrill of that sound, I never tire of it (even when you are sure it's going to hit your house).
Post a Comment