Fun, it was not.
We had difficulties wit the 2 art tutors we hired, who did not seem as fully committed to the kids, or as aware of the course requirements as we would have liked. Jamie and I ended up taking back responsibility for Jack's tuition, though he continued going to the classes.
The qualification consists of 2 elements: preparatory work, displayed on 3 A2 boards and a final exam piece, created under examination conditions. The exam lasted 10 hours over 2 days. The kids then had a week or so to select their research, studies and preparatory pieces to display on 3 boards. Each board is to demonstrate different Assessment Objectives and counts for 25% of the total marks. The final piece also counts for 25% of the total mark.
Just as he had completed the prep boards I had a sudden panic bout something the tutors had told us, submitted a question to the examiners and discovered, the day before this work was due to be handed in, that the 3 prep boards would have to be completely started all over again, because we'd ommitted something vital. Now we were faced with about 6 weeks' work to do in 2 days.
We did it. We just finished today. I had to help with all the cutting and sticking down for him as he painted, drew, composed notes on his studies and printed everything out. Again.
The theme given by the Exam Board was 'Broken'. Just that word.
Assessment Objective 1Record observations, experiences and ideas that are appropriate to intentions.
Assessment Objective 2Analyse and evaluate images, objects and artifacts, making informed connections with the work of others.
Develop and explore ideas, using a variety of media and processes that are appropriate to intentions.
Assessment Objective 4
Assessment Objective 4Review and refine ideas, modifying work as it progresses, before presenting a coherent personal response.
These objectives are shown in the final exam piece (already been submitted, so I don't have it here.) Jack had painted a distraught figure with a 'halo' of knives around his head in acrylic paint on a black background which had been splattered, Pollock-style.
This course was a massive investment of money and time. I don't think we'd have chosen to enter him for it, had we known the eventual cost of materials and how alone we'd be in terms of support and expertise.
However, if he achieves a creditable grade (A,B or C) I might re-think that. I'm so fickle. {g}
Right now, I never want to see another piece of art. Ever again.

16 comments:
Sorry to hear you were let down, but glad to hear it is now all behind you and now it is just the waiting game. I'm sure he will do well as he has had such good support behind him.
Sadly teaching doesn't seem to be what it was, I'm not sure what it is about now, the powers that be seem to have other objectives, rather than the best interests of the children at heart.
How cool! Was talking to an almost nephew about his A level art exams/course work and he was telling me of his boards - but getting to see Jack's is even better.
Hope he does well... and so glad you found out before the deadline...
Wow! I'm impressed with his work, but that is intense. Our high school students don't even have to take any art.
I hate Art too. I was predicted to get an 'A' at A Level, and I got a 'D'. :(
Why?
Didn't like the still life. Teenage angst. It was booooooring.
Oh, that life were so simple now!
Jack's work is fab, I'm really sure he'll do well. I like the strong contrast (or chiaroscuro, for those of us who were forever damaged by art exams) - it captures the subject word really well.
Heavy stuff!
WOW! That was a ton of work. Good job.
Jackie, do you mean that you hated having to do a still life for the exam or that the examiners hated your still life?
I believe A level Art has changed a lot in the years since you (and Jamie!) did it. Lots more design now. Actually this IGCSE (and the A level) are both called 'Art and Design' and the process is much more important than the eventual product. Process 75%, Final Piece 25%
Are either of your girls arty? Is this be something you might do with them?
Hi Linda,
Art is optional after age 13 here too. Did you mean that even artistically talented kids can't continue with Art through High School as an elective?
A group of us getting together to employ these tutors seeemed like such a good opportunity, especially as it leads to a qulifiaction. The more IGCSE's we can pull together the better, as each result gives 'points' towards entry to Further Education College post-16 courses and even University degree courses, post-18.
No transcripts from Mum will get you into Higher Education here.{g} It almost invariably has to be on the basis of 'points' from nationally (or internationally) accredited qualifications like this.
Having said that, a home educated kid recently got a place to study Law at Oxford without any. (And just aced his first year exams there.) Only relevant experience and a stunning interview. But those cases are so rare they are noteworthy.
Serenata, Yes, just wait and see now for the Art. He now has to focus on revision for the next 3 exams: Drama, Chemistry and Biology! All over in 3 weeks!
And then, start work on next year's exam courses: English, Maths, Physics and Religious Studies!
I feel sorry for him already...
HI Alexandra! I understand your comment. It WAS heavy! Serious stuff!
The theme the students were given, 6 weeks before the exam, was 'Broken'. Some interpreted that literally, painting smashed objects, (one girl's whole project seemed to centre around broken egg shells) and others more metaphorically.
The 6 week preparation period coincided with disussion in the media on whether Britain has a Broken Society, as evidenced by increased youth gang and knife-carrying culture. It was also around the time of Easter and the phrase 'My body, broken for you' kept coming into Jack's mind. So much of his early work related to Christian themes of holiness/guilt/shame/Jesus' broken body etc etc
Jamie and I were a little concerned about him referring to so many of those things for eg using a painting about the Expulsion from Eden, Michelangelo's Pieta etc as influences because chances are that his examiner will not be a Christian.
However, we figured that so much Art through the last 2,000 years has had Christian themes or subjects that he could do it and not ruin his chances of a good grade too much.
We're praying for an examiner who is not offended by Christian material.
"We're praying for an examiner who is not offended by Christian material."
or indeed one who is not so far removed from christianity that s/he has no idea what it's about!
So far, no great 'thing' for art, one very practical hands on with a thing for latin (!) and one scientist. But that may change.
As for the still life, I just did not like the actual still life set up on the exam day! I made a real hogs breath of it, I really did - mind you, it was AWFUL, I can still remember it, 40 years on! I just had an off day. Which is why it's good to hear that there is so much more emphasis on process in Art, these days.
Some subjects, I think that's an error, and exam under stress is the way to test if the subject has been grasped. But Art isn't one of them. It's so easy to have an 'off ' day!
This seems like a massively intense process. He did a great job though!
Hey dorothy,
Really glad to hear that you both managed to get through all of that work in so little time, it must have been terribly stressful.
They look like amazing boards too :D
Have a cup of tea in good old fashsioned english tradtion and count the diffusion of the tea bag as chemistry.
Wish jack luck over the next three weeks from me and say hi to grace.
lots of love
Amelia
Hi Amelia!
Thanks for popping by! I hope your exams are going well.
They can take art as an elective, but I assumed since your kids were taking exams that they were required to take the art. I think I see what you're saying now, though.
LOL, Jack is so tired in that first picture that even his hair seems to be sleeping! :)
Post a Comment