Friday, October 02, 2009

Shallots Pickled in Sherry Vinegar - For Pamela


1 lb (450 g) shallots, peeled
4 fl oz (110 ml) sherry vinegar If you can't find this, try a mixture of white wine vinegar and balsamic vinegar
2 oz (50 g) salt
10 fl oz (275 ml) white wine vinegar
¾ level teaspoon whole mixed pepper berries

Equipment
You will also need a 1 litre jar.

Method
1. You need to begin 2 days ahead by placing the shallots in a 2 pint (1.2 litre) bowl. Then mix 1 pint (570 ml) water and the salt together, pour this over the shallots and leave them covered with a cloth for 2 days.

2. When you're ready to start pickling, bring the vinegars and mixed berries up to simmering point in a saucepan, then leave them to get quite cold.

3. Meanwhile, drain the shallots in a colander, pat them dry with a paper towel, then pile them into a 1 litre jar, which has been washed thoroughly in warm soapy water, rinsed, dried, then placed in a moderate oven for 5 minutes to sterilise.

4. Pour the cold vinegar (plus the spices) into the jar, seal it tightly and leave in a cool place for 1 month before eating.

This recipe is taken from Delia Smith’s Christmas. Brilliant with sausage rolls, pies or pasties!

6 comments:

Pamela said...

Thank you so much! What's a moderate oven? About 300 degrees F?

Romany said...

A little hotter, 330-350F? Make sure they go in straight from being washed in hot water.

Kristine said...

I don't know what to say, but the "Shallots Pickled in Sherry Vinegar" certainly caught my attention when I saw it in my sidebar. Exactly WHAT do you do with these? HOW do you eat them with the meats, pastries, etc.? (And I know you didn't mean CHERRY pies, lol.)

Romany said...

Kristine, no, we don't eat many fruit pies here. Our pies are more likely to be savoury.

You just eat them like any salad vegetable. With a knife and fork.

I thought you were a fan of pickles?

Kristine said...

Well, I like shallots. I like sour, pickley things. What would really be nice if someone just happened to have these out at a party just so I could try one...or two!

Romany said...

LOL Kristine,

Pickled shallots or onions are not really party food. You wouldn't eat them in 'company'. Your breath would smell horrible afterwards!

They are for eating with a plate of supper on your lap, next to a roaring fire on a winter's evening, just before bed. Preferably with a glass of English beer.

When you're not expecting to be kissing anyone. {g}