Thursday, October 01, 2009

Spiced Plum Chutney - For Alexandra

Firstly, I should say that although the British took the chutney idea from India, they did mess with it quite a bit so that it became a quintessentially British art-form.{g} It is not like Indian chutneys, which are usually fresh, with chopped onions, herbs and coconut and aren't intended to keep. They make zangy, fresh accompaniments to curries.

British chutneys are darker, more fruity and designed to mature over months of keeping. Make this one now, to be just right for Christmas!

Spiced Plum Chutney
This recipe is from Delia Smith

Over the 30 years or so that I've been making this chutney, I've used every conceivable type of plum, including damsons and greengages. (Don't recommend the greengages for this, though. The darker plums work better.)

3 lbs plums (1.35 kg)
3 large onions
1 lb cooking apples (450 g)if you can't get proper cooking apples in the US, then I've used Granny Smiths quite well.
1 lb seedless raisins or sultanas
1 lb dark soft brown sugar. I've used all kinds of sugar for this. The darker (and less processed) the better, up to a point. I found that really dark molasses sugar imparts too treacly a flavour
1 lb demerara sugar. Basically - 2 lbs sugar ,which is not white but not molasses sugar either. {g}
1 dessertspoon of whole cloves
2 pints malt vinegar (1.25 L) If you can't get malt vinegar where you are, red wine vinegar or cider vinegar would do.
3 cloves garlic
2 tablespoons salt
2 small cinnamon sticks
1 oz whole allspice berries (25g) This is a Jamaican spice. If you can't get it. Whole peppercorns would probably do, but chuck in a teaspoon of mixed spice too.

By the way. I lived in Canada for 4 1/2 years where we couldn't get some ingredients I was used to, so I learned to improvise. It's easy really.{g}

You will need a very large pan or preserving pan, a piece of gauze or muslin, some string and 6 lbs (450g) preserving (kilner or Mason type) jars or plastic, lined screw-top lids.

1. Wash and dry the plums. Slit and halve them and remove the stones, putting them into the pan as you go. Peel, core and mince the apples and onions and add to the pan.

2. Crush the garlic and add that, the ginger and raisins, sugars and vinegars. Sprinkle in the salt and stir thoroughly. The cinnamon, allspice berries and cloves should be wrapped in the gauze and tied onto the handle of the pan and suspended into the middle of the ingredients by the string.

3. Bring everything to the boil then lower the heat and let the chutney simmer for 2-3 hours, stirring occasionally, especially towards the end to stop it sticking. When almost all the vinegar has disappeared and the chutney has thickened to a soft consistency, it's ready. It will thicken more as it cools so don't overcook.

4. While it is still warm, pour it into the jars (washed, dried and put into a moderate oven for 10 mins or so first). Use a jam funnel if you have one. Cover with waxed paper discs (wax side down) and seal down with a screw lid. Label when cold and store in a cool airy cupboard. Leave to mellow for three months before eating.

This is perfect for a Ploughman's Lunch of fresh crusty bread with mature cheese and, say, an apple. Or with cold, sliced meats on Boxing Day! Yum.

1 comment:

Alexandra said...

Eh! What's this nice surprise? Thank you so much. My mouth is watering....mmmm, Ploughman's Lunch. I can taste the sweet and spicy with the cheese. I use that demerara sugar as well. Ours comes from Florida, so it's not too expensive.