Our first outing was yesterday. We went on a tour of the medieval architecture inside the private courtyards of New College, Oxford. It's not new any more, but was when it was built in 1380. It was founded as a theological college for the training of priests after the Black Death (plague) had taken so many.
Our guide was a home-educating dad. He is also a stone mason and has worked on many of our most important buildings, such as cathedrals. He showed us the tools of his craft: a hammer, a chisel and a compass. All, he said, that was needed for the building of a large and beautiful cathedral. He was well-informed about the spiritual significance of medieval architecture and was a fascinating speaker as he was clearly passionate about his subject. Which, itself, was interesting, as I think he and his family are Muslim.
He also explained quite well the changes that occurred to religious architecture during and after the English Reformation, though he wasn't quite on target with the significance of the destruction of the old stone altars and their replacement with wooden tables. He believed it was purely symbolic, though protestants would see it as much more fundamental than that.
Grace and Jack in the cloister garth (courtyard). The chapel is behind.
5 comments:
All I can say is ... I hope you aren't going to end up hag-ridden. Ducking and running ...
Dorothy, sounds like a fascinating field trip, possibly even more so for the adults who know a little about this man personally. Very interesting.
Oh dear, a HAG, don't let them do that to you, Dorothy. Anything for a good field trip, I guess, even name-calling.
Very nice pictures. You have a young comedian on your hands in Jack!
Those windows are beautiful.
HAG must stand for...
Happy
A errr Anglican?
Girl.
LOL
I want to go on a field trip with you guys!!!! :-)
Post a Comment