Saturday, February 03, 2007

Sing For Your Supper!

Our church doesn't do hospitality.
I mean there isn't a tradition of inviting each other for meals at our homes in this church. It doesn't even do fellowship lunches (potlucks) very often. It DOES have small groups and I think that must satisfy people's need for friendship, but Jamie and I can't get to the small groups so we feel kind of semi-detached from the members of our church.

But the Bible seems to value hospitality highly. In Acts 2 the description of the new church lists eating together in each other's homes as one of the features of that thriving church to which God added numbers daily.

The other problem is that all of the events, courses, groups here in this church seem to separate families in the evening. There is an Evangelism course going on at the moment. It starts at 8.00pm and the pastor told us all to 'get babysitters' and come because it was so important. My blood pressure rose at that point. Firstly, my mission field is my teenage children and how can I minister to and mentor them when I am out in the evening at evangelism courses and so on? And secondly, I do wish churches would organise their events so parents don't need to be separated from their children all the time!

We've tried to solve this by inviting families to our home for meals as often as we can. It's tricky though, because hospitality is NOT my gift. {g} I get stressed easily and fret about everything, the food, the state of the kitchen floor, the fact that we don't have any matching dishes etc etc.

Since we've been in the Worship Team, we've worked hard to encourage and mentor new musicians and bring new singers into the team which has now doubled in size. This time last year we invited all the worship team and their families for tea one Sunday. And yesterday, we had something I (I think?) invented, called, Sing For Your Supper.

The idea was the musicians and their families were invited to our house for a simple meal of soups, bread and fruit and while they were here they had to sing a song to the assembled company. It went really well. I am so thankful!

We had:
chicken noodle soup
spicy black bean soup
lentil and vegetable soup
with:
wholewheat bread,
sundried tomato and parmesan bread
malted mixed grain bread
all of the above was home-made
with:
fresh slices of pineapple, watermelon, grapes, satsumas etc.

People seemed so grateful to come straight from a week at work and not have to cook for their families, the mums especially! (Grace, Jack and I had done it all!) The ones with little kids came early and the older people without kids, who worked late, came later, but they all seemed to coincide at one point!

The songs we heard ranged from:
the theme tune to Fireman Sam (by a toddler) to the Lament of Orpheus from Orpheus and Euridice (by a lady who's a professional opera singer!) One song was a group event. It was some sort of African gathering song with parts which we were all taught! We had no idea what we were singing (it was in an African language) but it was beautiful and atmospheric! Guitars and our out of tune piano were played. Singers ranged in age from 2 years old to mid 60's.

I am so grateful that God planted this idea in my head. We had some great fellowship. The focus was not on the food or my floors. (My stress-point!) It was where it should be, on each other, through the songs.

If anyone would like to borrow this idea, please do!
I want to encourage you to be hospitable!
Even if it is not your gift!{g}

9 comments:

Yvonne said...

Oh I love your idea! Sounds fun...wish I could come sing for my supper with you. ~Yvonne

Debbie said...

D, what a wonderful idea and a wonderful night of fellowship. I also am hospitality challenged. I have a dear SIL who can pull a meal out of her cupboards at the last minute and have everything be perfect. I've always envied her, but it is just her gifting.

I totally agree about churches pulling families apart. It has been a sticking point with us and our church.

I'm so glad you had a great night. I hope your actions might encourage others to show more hospitality.

Diann said...

That sounds like a blast! I can't wait until we move and can have people over for dinner again. For now I have to focus..focus...focus on packing and getting ready to move.

Diann

Jodi said...

That sounds like a very fun idea. I'd sing for the good sounding foods on your menu...it may not be in tune though!

DeEtta @ Courageous Joy said...

What a marvelous idea! I love it.

The Nowlin Family said...

Dorothy,
I'm so proud of you! Honestly, its the thought of me having to sing for my supper that horrifies me more than hosting everyone. Funny that I love music and it stirs my soul, yet my joyful noise is woefully out of tune. BTW, thank you for joining Wendy in cleaning our kitchen after I left England. Your kindness is inspiring and much appreciated. Love, Joelyn

Romany said...

Joelyn!

You are back online. Cool!

How's Washington? And everyone? And where is YOUR blog?{g}

Dorothy

Cynthia said...

Did you have any nonsingers on your worship team? Our worship team just had it's Christmas party last weekend and the invitation said they were going to be testing our musical ability. FORTUNATELY, they changed their mind. I was afraid it was going to involve some sort of singing and I don't sing for anyone to hear (LOL)! We ended up playing Deal or No Deal and that was a BLAST!

WAY TO GO on working on hospitality. I remember SHS threads years ago when you started having more people over. You're doing GREAT! I bet the team felt SO appreciated to be able to come and enjoy dinner at your home.

Emily said...

What a great idea!!!!