Oxford is our local city. You are (were) only allowed to be called a city in the UK if you have a university or a cathedral. Oxford has both. Oxford University is comprised of lots of different colleges, most of which have been around since the Middle Ages.Parking is practically impossible in this medieval city so we did the Park and Ride thing. Yes, we do have green double-decker buses!
The Bridge of Sighs connects two parts of one of the colleges.
Liz, Grace was horrified at your comment that she looks just like me and after seeing this photo I can see why she was so upset.{g}
Grace and Jamie looking which way to run to get away from me and the camera.This hall claims to be the oldest still used music venue in the world. But Jamie hasn't played there.{g}

Jack's favourite shop. It's a shame he can't afford to buy anything in it.
Apparently, lime green is in this year. And {gasp!} leggings!
Grace hates shopping. Her worst nightmare is shopping for clothes. (It's an ASD thing.) And yet, she does need to wear clothes, especially at this time of year. Shortly after this shot was taken, I tricked her into going with me 'just to look' and then made her try on various items. She complained loudly about having a mother who would be so mean to her as to make her buy new clothes. The women in the adjoining cubicles thought she was hysterical. We came out with 5 items of clothes for her and hopefully neither of us will need to go through that again for a few more months.
The lone piper of the Saxon Tower.
He'd obviously got lost on his way to Scotland. Actually, we all thought he was the best piper we'd ever heard and gave him some money.
Dorothy and Jack outside some college or other. NB daffodils are coming into bloom!

Jack next to an impressive looking gate.
Most of the colleges are built around courtyards with gates like this to stop the hoi poloi, like us, from getting in with out a Jolly Good Reason. Fortunately, we have one of those for tomorrow and will be taken on a tour of the artwork of New College by a homeschool Dad who works there.
Radcliffe camera on the left and um, some college on the right.
Grace is letting Jamie know that if I try to take one more picture of her she will poke him in the eye.
The Chaps in Christchurch Meadow.

Grace on the banks of the River Cherwell. There are two rivers which run through Oxford, this one and the Thames.
The Medieval wall around Magdalen College. (Pronounced maudlin, for no good reason.)
Edmund Halley lived here when he was a professor of mathematics and had his observatory in the roof.
What does one eat in Oxford? Why, Cornish pasties, of course.
I promise not to post any more pictures of Oxford for a long time, probably not until at least tomorrow.
6 comments:
LOVE the photos, all of them! My dh rolls his eyes and complains loudly whenever he sees my camera now. He complained, though, when I DIDN'T use it either, lol!
Looks like a fun day, Dorothy!
Those are very nice pictures.
I get the same types of reaction to the camera coming out. Oh well their life is being photographed, they need to live with it, it simply means we love them!
ASD and clothes shopping. I think this is one time it's fortunate to have a boy on the spectrum rather than a girl. When he grows I just buy him the next size up in the basics, make sure they're in colors he likes and fabrics that aren't irritating then take any tags out before putting them in his drawers. He hardly has to know a change has occured. It doesn't matter so much what boys wear. He does dislike it when he has to have new shoes though. His old trainers had been needing replacing and he wouldn't wear the new because they weren't quite the same. When he went for an MRI the old ones had so much metal in them from walking in them so much and picking up bits of metal, that his feet were nearly pulled up to the magnet in the machine. LOL
oh, what FUN!
I'll have to show Kate -- she's writing a paper on the topic of English writers being the greatest & most influential & one of her body paragraphs is on the fab CS Lewis.
My kids are awed at how different your field trips are than ours (we go to the fire station or somewhere historically significant like a 100 year old cemetery).
And I SAID Grace looked like you did in your OLD pictures - don't freak the girl out. Speaking of which, dh said he'd get me a web camera so that all could see what *I* really looked like on a day to day basis & I threatened to run away from home if he did any such thing (I'll be down at McDonald's where they have wireless internet).
Dorothy--don't EVER apologize for posting pictures. Load on as many as you can. Those of us far away from such fabulous sites need to live vicariously. I thought you did an excellent job of capturing the landmarks but keeping your family in the pictures. That way the photos are interesting in two aspects.
Funny story about Grace - a mean mother indeed, making her buy new things. She doesn't seem to be lacking in her verbal skills. :)
Ah man - now I need to go make pasties or I'll never get it off my mind. ::snort::
Dorothy, it's always fascinating to visit England through your camera lens. Thanks for posting.
I love learning and seeing England through your lense and your blog! Never stop posting!
Post a Comment