In 1989, Jamie was on tour with the band and I was bored.
So I went to a revolution.
I had a nice time.
Then I went home.

That's the short story.
Now for a slightly longer version.
When Jamie went to work in those days, it was for months at a time. The band's world tour was for almost 2 years. I would stay at home and when I wasn't working I would hop on a plane and join him wherever he was, for part of the tour. I'd stay for as long as I could bear it. Then I'd fly back to the UK.
Goodness, touring is boring. Yes, it is. Really. It IS! Long journeys in the tour bus, or lots of time at airports, hanging around waiting for sound checks to be over so we could get back to the hotel. Sitting backstage trying not to eat. And feeling desperately bored in the company of the skeletal trophy girlfriends whose conversation consisted solely of fashion designers and chemical peels.
There were some interesting times too, but those are the subject of another post. Sometime. After I've checked with our lawyers.
So, I was home one December, when a friend, who happened to work as a journalist, rang me up to chat. For a journalist, she was always remarkably oblivious to world events. She mostly relied on me, and the Sun newspaper, to tell her what was going on and point her in the direction of a good story. And since the Sun mostly concentrates on photos of ladies who forget to put their blouses on when they get up in the morning, she mainly just had me. I had studied International Relations for a minor at university, so naturally, I considered myself a Top Expert.
We had a conversation that went like this:
Me: Hi! How's it going?
Her: Great. I've got 2 weeks off! I'm going on holiday.
Me: Yeah? Where are you going?
Her: I'm not sure. Behind the Iron Curtain somewhere, I think.
Me: Really? Where?
Her: I've always fancied Prague.
Me: You know they're about to have a revolution there, don't you?
Her: (impressed) How can you tell?
Me: (knowledgeably) Well, all the communist governments are falling right now. The Czech one is bound to go in the next couple of weeks.
4 seconds of silence whilst she contemplated hard...
Her: Cool! Do you want to come with me?
Me:
Well, I did tell you I was bored.
So, after long days of waiting in a queue at the Czech Embassy in London for a special visa, which was unaccountably granted us, we were on the British Airways weekly flight to Prague.
The exterior of the Hotel GulagThe first hotel we stayed in, which was booked through the communist tourist agency, looked like a prison for political prisoners. To this day, I'm not completely certain it wasn't exactly that. There was even piped 'music' and 'news' blasting though a speaker on the bedroom wall at certain times of the day and night. Whether you liked it or not.
Elayne the Oblivious Journalist admires the Christmas decorations inside Hotel GulagAnd a large, scary concierge who occupied a small chair near the main door, for no apparent reason other than to scrutinize and intimidate us as we entered and left the hotel. After two nights of misery and several meals of gruel, we tunneled out and dashed across Prague, dragging our suitcases full of shoes, to the unauthorized but swankier International Hotel. Where we celebrated with Slivovitz. And Borcht. Unfortunately, not in that order.
Dorothy celebrating with a bottle of Slivovitz in the International HotelThe only 'internationals' who ever went to Prague in those days were East Germans and Russians. And spies, obviously. This WAS the Cold War. All our conversations with the Czech people themselves had to be in my stilted schoolgirl German. They were used to Germans, but not British.
A lovely square in the middle of Prague, the city famous for its defenestrations.Nowadays, Prague has thankfully reclaimed its rightful place as beautiful, cosmopolitan, weekend-destination right in the heart of Mittel Europa and everyone and his dog has been there. But then, it was, excitingly 'Behind the Iron Curtain' and Exceedingly Strange, as this photo amply demonstrates.
A shop window in Prague. This is what all the Chic Czechs were queuing up to buy that year.
We did notice a lot of excited activity in the evenings. Even my friend, Elayne the Oblivious Journalist, noticed. Everyone was on the move. And all in the same direction! They were headed off to Wenceslas Square for the Revolution!
After briefly worrying about what to wear to a revolution (we settled on Sensible Shoes), we followed the crowds and joined in.
Students and workers join forces in the Velvet Revolution
We asked someone to translate the slogans on the banners and placards we saw everywhere and had found ourselves shouting. 'Vaclav Na Hrad!' Apparently, it meant 'Vaclav (Havel) to the Castle!' The Castle was the seat of government and they were demanding that Havel be made President. Vaclav Havel, a dissident playwright, was still at that time a political prisoner and the Russians still had Prague in its iron grip, but by the time *WE* left Czechoslovakia he was free and its famous Velvet Revolution was well underway. Havel was voted in as President on 29th December 1989.
Coincidence?
I think not.
Dorothy looking VERY happy about the sensible shoes decisionWhat's that? You were wondering what Daddy did in the Cold War? Well, he is the reason the Berlin Wall finally fell. Simply everyone in the East wanted to know where to get tinted glasses like Jamie's, and stampeded through the Brandenburg gate.

And that, my children, is your parents' legacy to you.
Havel Na Hrad!
15 comments:
Wikkid trip that's all I can say. Well one more, you look a lot more like your younger days photos than Jamie does his!
How interesting, Dorothy! I'm having a hard time deciding, though, which picture of Jamie is best - the rock star look or the one in the skirt! Ha, ha! My mother is Scottish and they're very "into" the Munro plaid, etc., so I can sympathize!
Great post Dorothy. And I love the big 80s hair. Not sure I'd post a picture of me in the 80's for anyone to look at. ;)
Dorothy - thanks for sharing those pictures. I remember when we went to Germany incredible feeling we had when walking over the place where the wall once was. Thanks for sharing those pictures . . I can't wait to show my husband. Have you ever shared what band your husband use to be with?
D, What an exciting life you have led. Gosh, I don't think I've ever been to a protest before, let alone one that brought freedom to a whole country!
But, I'm with you, I think it was probably the sunglasses!
Thank you for your wonderful wit and sharing bits and pieces of your life.
Dorothy,
Thanks for a great read. This was very interesting and I loved the photos. And now we know the story behind the news. LOL
DeEtta,
Yup and you probably thought it was all because of Reagan, Thatcher and those Polish Solidary blokes, didn't you?
Dorothy
PS I had fun remembering and writing that.
This was a riot, what a great story! (And truth be told, I giggled at your oh-so-80s big hair and black boots and all!)
Still laughing here about your part in history!
Okay, now I feel like you've had a Real Life & I've been sitting around reading too many books & not getting out enough!
AND Grace looks EXACTLY like you.
Liz,
You DO need to get out more. I've told you before there is a green sofa (donated by missionaries) in my living room awaiting your sleeping bag.
Just hitch down to Galveston and catch an Venezuelan oil freighter to Southampton, buy a bike and cycle here.
Any time!
Dorothy
I visited Berlin just after the Wall fell, but before it had all fallen (or been pulled) down. Not a patch on playing a lead role in the Velvet Revolution though. At least you didn't get defenestrated, even if those windows were rather elegant.
Kathryn,
I've had a mortal fear of being defenestrated ever since that trip to Prague.
Dorothy
I was wondering if anyone was going to mention how much you and Grace look alike.
What a GREAT story! I'm so glad you drudged up those old photos and memories and shared it all with us.
Kewl rockstar hottie there! ;)
WOW... a history maker in our midst! Thanks for sharing your story. You lead quite the exciting life!
Now see - I missed this first time around so I'm glad you linked it. Very impressed - I mean we watched the wall come down on our honeymoon but didn't actually go... :)
Post a Comment